[Solved] Sudden Registration Popup

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
gaiagirl

[Solved] Sudden Registration Popup

Post by gaiagirl »

Running Windows 7
Have had Open Office since 2010. Have version 3.3
Haven't done any recent upgrades for system or O.O
Last time used computer O.O running fine.
Today suddenly getting registration popup
open office.JPG
Did search for issue. (doesn't look like there have been any inquires on this registration popup since 2010 so started new thread)
Followed all instructions here, as suggested in one response to this issue. viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403
No change
Restarted computer and now Quick Starter doesn't even open popup, and I can't open any documents either! I get the hourglass and then it just does nothing. :(

I notice now when going to (From Windows 7: click Start and type %appdata% in the Search box. Click "Roaming".) I now have 2 Roaming options. One just says Roaming, the other says Roaming/OpenOfice.org. They both seem to end up in the same place, with the 2nd one taking me directly here:
Open Office 3.JPG
What should I do now??

Thanks!!
Last edited by gaiagirl on Sun May 02, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GaiaGirl
Open Office 3.3
Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Sudden Registration Popup

Post by FJCC »

I would restart the computer again. When you start OpenOffice, if you get that registration screen, go through the registration process. That will make a user profile and you should be back to normal. If you do not get the registration screen when trying to start OpenOffice and OpenOffice will not start correctly, go into the folder named 3 and rename the user folder to user_old. Then try restarting OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why don't you install a more up to date version? It's 4.1.9 now.
There may be issue with your antivirus also. It would not explain why the version you had and that did work doesn't anymore, except if a recent Windows update broke things.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The sudden registration popup is often caused by a previous overhasty close down of the computer, before the OpenOffice housekeeping has been written to disk, and the identification information in OpenOffice on that computer has been lost as a result.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gaiagirl

Post by gaiagirl »

FJCC wrote:I would restart the computer again. When you start OpenOffice, if you get that registration screen, go through the registration process. That will make a user profile and you should be back to normal. If you do not get the registration screen when trying to start OpenOffice and OpenOffice will not start correctly, go into the folder named 3 and rename the user folder to user_old. Then try restarting OpenOffice.

Thanks and.......Sorry, but did you read my post? I said: Followed all instructions here, as suggested in one response to this issue. viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403, which included changing user name etc, and that I had restarted the computer.... :lol:
GaiaGirl
Open Office 3.3
Windows 7
gaiagirl

Post by gaiagirl »

Hagar Delest wrote:Why don't you install a more up to date version? It's 4.1.9 now.
There may be issue with your antivirus also. It would not explain why the version you had and that did work doesn't anymore, except if a recent Windows update broke things.
With running Windows 7 I've updated other things, such as ITunes, and it completely screwed things up...like 7 just can't handle the updated version....so trying to keep it simple since the older version was still working just fine for my needs. But a windows update might explain it!
GaiaGirl
Open Office 3.3
Windows 7
gaiagirl

Post by gaiagirl »

RoryOF wrote:The sudden registration popup is often caused by a previous overhasty close down of the computer, before the OpenOffice housekeeping has been written to disk, and the identification information in OpenOffice on that computer has been lost as a result.
Probably not the case...I usually hit shut down and walk away and don't shut compute until certain all is of! Had some issues w/ that kind of thing happening way back when i couldn't even get the computer started!
GaiaGirl
Open Office 3.3
Windows 7
gaiagirl

Post by gaiagirl »

So, miraculously...today I went thru the registration process again, restarted comp, and now things seem to be working fine! No more pop-up! And I can access my doc's. Guess this ol' computer needed time to think about it all... :D
GaiaGirl
Open Office 3.3
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Sudden Registration Popup

Post by Hagar Delest »

Great. Note that AOO has not changed that much in the last years. I checked the requirements and 4.1.9 seems compatible with Windows 7.

I've seen another strange issue similar to that one with a profile suddenly reset, but on Windows 10. Maybe corner cases...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10