[Solved] Is Java necessary for OpenOffice?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
jdworl

[Solved] Is Java necessary for OpenOffice?

Post by jdworl »

I downloaded your newest version of open office. It makes a point that open office needs java to operate well. My browser is firefox which no longer supports java.
When i run office it seems to work fine to me.
Is java necessary and if not why include the statement that java is necessary?
 Edit: Please don't write in all caps - it is considered as shouting [robleyd, mod] 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Open Office 4.1 on Windows 10(Home)
robleyd

Re: JAVA

Post by robleyd »

See Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java for information on what Java is used for in AOO and what to install if you need Java.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Is Java necessary for OpenOffice?

Post by Bill »

jdworl wrote:It makes a point that open office needs java to operate well.
I don't recall the words "operate well" in any message. The Readme included in the program files says "OpenOffice requires a recent version of JAVA for full functionality." That means that some functions will not work at all If the JRE is not installed. If you try to use such a function, you will see a "JRE Required" message which says "OpenOffice requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task". If you never see this message, then you don't need JAVA.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The AOO is a 32 bit software. It requires 32 bit JRE even if it installed/run on a 64 bit operating system.

Try the LibreOffice. It has 32 and 64 bhit version too, and the Java dependency of the LO was decreased by the developers, when the licence of the Java has been changed. I am using the LO without JRE.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
jdworl

Post by jdworl »

Very helpful. Thank you.
Open Office 4.1 on Windows 10(Home)
Dominickdevlin

Re: [Solved] Is Java necessary for OpenOffice?

Post by Dominickdevlin »

Having been told several times that I need a JRE when I tried to create a macro on a new computer and having failed to install a JRE on it, I think I have found a way of not needing a JRE: I have copied a selection of labels from my old computer and have created new macros using the names of the copied macros.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7