[Solved] Deleted File by mistake

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Aries123

[Solved] Deleted File by mistake

Post by Aries123 »

Hi; is there anyway I can find and reinstall a deleted file; it's a really important document!!! I've looked in my recycle bin and it's not there and when I try to open it as normal it says it doesn't exist?? I use it all the time so the only thing I can think of is but has been deleted but where is it??

Can anyone help me please urgently. Oh I hope this is retrievable. Would it reinstall if I restored my lap top to an earlier date when the files were there?

Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
robleyd

Re: Deleted File by mistake

Post by robleyd »

If you are using the recent files list to open the document, it may be that it has been moved from the location it was in. Try using your file manager to search for the file by name.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Aries123

Post by Aries123 »

Hi thanks for your reply; ive already done that and it' not there. Can't believe this it is such an important spreadsheet
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try an undelete utility such as PhotoRec or Recuva.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

it is such an important spreadsheet
Do you have "always create backup copy" enabled in Tools | Options | Load/save | General? If so, check in the backup directory defined in Tools | Options | OpenOffice | Paths.

Otherwise, do you have a backup strategy from which you can recover?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Aries123 wrote:it is such an important spreadsheet
Type *.ods (or *.xls if using xls files) in the Windows File Explorer search box to find all .ods (or all .xls) files on the PC.
Clipboard02.png
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

An important question: was the file ever Saved?
Aries123

Post by Aries123 »

OMG!!! I've found it; thank you everyone. BUT now I have another strange problem which has totally confused me. I'll try and explain as simply as possible. All my files when i use my recent places are all there as .ods OpenOffice calc which is great, but when I look in my documents folder all my spreadsheets are now in Excel format!!! I dont want to use excel. Even if I do a save as it still only saves it as excel, why wont it save it as openoffice?

How can I access my files in the right format if I use my recent places but can only access them as excel version if I'm looking in y documents folder on my computer? Totally confused.com and i've not changed anything regarding saving documents
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You have had a Windows Update which has changed File Associations to tell your computer to use trial version of Excel to open your files. Change File Associations to tell computer to use OpenOffice to open these.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Nothing has happened to your files except arrogant bl**dy Microsoft has, with a Windows update and without asking you, changed the icons to MS Word and Excel icons.

Set your default program to open .odt, doc, docx etc files to be AOO and all will again be well. Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps > scroll down to Choose default apps by file type and/or Choose default apps by protocol and/or Set defaults by app.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Aries123

Post by Aries123 »

Thank you so much John everything sorted now. You're right it was B***** Microsoft!! Thanks again