[Solved] JRE Required error message

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
wdc202

[Solved] JRE Required error message

Post by wdc202 »

An only occasional OpenOfficeWriter user, I recently encountered this error message when I tried to create a table with 6 columns and 15 rows:
Open Ofice requires a realtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. Please install a JRE and restart Open Office.

Would someone please spell these instructions out for me? Just what am I to do to restore OOW? Whatever did I do to find myself locked out from doing a task I had done hundreds of times before? Needless to say, I am a rank Beginner.

Thanks for your patience.

FWIW, I am using OOW on a Windows 10 laptop with a Chrome browser.

.... wdc
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows10
RusselB

Re: JRE Required error message

Post by RusselB »

Please see Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
You do not need to restore OOW, but you do need to restart it after Java is installed.
Restoring and restarting are two very different processes.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
wdc202

Post by wdc202 »

RussellB: I do not understand this malevent a bit, but my problem seems to have disappeared after I viewed your comment and attempted to follow your instructions. Thank you so much. .... wdc202
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Sounds to me like you installed Java, but failed to restart OpenOffice after completing the installation.
OpenOffice gets a lot of information from your system upon startup, but if you make a change that affects OpenOffice while the program is open, OpenOffice will not recognize the change until it has been closed and then reopened.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.