[Solved]Files not converted after installing new AOO version

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JonnyReb

[Solved]Files not converted after installing new AOO version

Post by JonnyReb »

I installed the new version without removing the old or going through update process. Then went in an manually deleted the old program files and the shortcut. The new version did not upgrade my files and now I can not open them. Is there help for such stupidity
Last edited by thomasjk on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: mark thread solved
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Old files Won't convert

Post by FJCC »

Which version were you using? Installing a new version does not touch your documents, so there should be no damage to them. Can you start OpenOffice from the Windows menu?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

Open Office 4.1.9 on Window 10. Microsoft Edge as the browser. I have a shortcut on the desktop. Not sure how to open the software from the windows menu
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Does the shortcut on the desktop work? I understood that you had deleted that. If it does work and OpenOffice starts, you should be able to use the menu item File -> Open to open your files.
If the shortcut does not work, click on the Windows button (usually at the lower left of the screen) and you should see an alphabetical list of programs. Scroll down through that to find OpenOffice. That entry will probably have a little down-pointing arrow next to it. Click that and select OpenOffice. If it starts, use the File -> Open menu to open your files. If it does not start, let us know about any error messages you get.

I'll be off line for a couple of hours, at least, but others should be available.
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

I deleted the one to version 4.1.7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Then went in an manually deleted the old program files and the shortcut
A new default installation of OpenOffice will overwrite the older program files; if you installed a new version, then removed the files in Program Files/OpenOffice 4 you will delete the new installation of OpenOffice.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

I checked the files and the ones for 4.19 are still there they are in a file (program files x86) Aslo when I go and open the desktop (where the shortcut resides the files are there with todays date as last modified
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Have you tried starting OpenOffice as I described in an earlier post?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JonnyReb wrote:I installed the new version without removing the old or going through update process. Then went in an manually deleted the old program files and the shortcut. The new version did not upgrade my files and now I can not open them. Is there help for such stupidity
In a normal update from 4.1.7 to 4.1.9, the 4.1.7 program files would automatically be deleted first, then the 4.1.9 program files would be installed in the same folder. Did you do a custom installation to bypass this process? Are you sure that you didn't delete the new program files for 4.1.9? User data files are stored separately and don't require any type of conversion to be opened by a new version of AOO.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
JonnyReb

Re: Files not converted after installing new AOO version

Post by JonnyReb »

I did not do a custom install. Not savvy enough for that. No I did not delete the 4.1.9 version the files are in two different places. When I open the desktop they are there and are also in the C drive in program files
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

I can use the open file procedure on the new version; however, when click on the file I want to open I get a window open that is title 'filter selection' and there is a long list of programs.
What if I delete the program and reinstall it?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Before you do anything drastic, please confirm: have the files always lived on your current computer, or have they been transferred from an older machine?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JonnyReb wrote:No I did not delete the 4.1.9 version the files are in two different places. When I open the desktop they are there and are also in the C drive in program files
The program files are not on the Desktop. If those are the files you deleted, then you deleted the installation files, not the program files. The program files should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice4. That's where all program files for all versions of OpenOffice 4 are installed on 64-bit Windows.
JonnyReb wrote:I can use the open file procedure on the new version; however, when click on the file I want to open I get a window open that is title 'filter selection' and there is a long list of programs.
Please upload a screen shot of the "filter selection" window. I don't recall that window. I would usually expect a filter to be used for selecting data files, not programs.
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

I checked; the program files are there under the folder OpenOffice 4.
The version that I keep saying I deleted is the old one 4.1.7 That was the version the files were stored to my computer using. They were printed not created using the Open Office programs. I need these files as they are tax returns.

Can I reinstall the old version and have that work?
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

Most of the Open Office files were created on another computer using the 4.1.7 version then transferred using " One Drive"
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What is the extension of the files you want to open? .doc/.docx/.odt?
When you open OpenOffice, what is the version given in the Help menu?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

for those that say the installation of a new version will override an older one; that did not happen. I had version 4.1.7 and version 4.1.9 on my computer at the same time; that was why I deleted the old version I guess my mistake was doing it manually instead of using the uninstall feature of window.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is possible that, in the process of transfer, the files have been corrupted. Is there a file you find corrupt that you could upload to the Forum for checking? The Upload tab is below the Submit button on Full Editor and Post Reply screens, not on Quick Reply screen.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The only way that I know of for you to have to 4.x versions of OpenOffice installed on the same machine at the same time is for you to have done a custom installation.
If you had done a default installation both times, then the newer version would've over-written the program files of the older version
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

@Hagar Delest. The file I am trying to open is '1040 return 2016.opxs
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See if that helps: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2433c5865e
You meant OXPS I guess, not OPXS.
I doubt that you were able to open it with AOO. Or imported in Draw perhaps?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I downloaded a sample .xps file and tried to open it with OpenOffice. The previously mentioned "Filter Selection" window opened. However, it is not a list of programs but a list of import filters that OpenOffice can use to open files. Neither .xps nor .oxps is on that list. OpenOffice can not create, export or open .oxps files. When trying to open the file with LIbreOffice, LO claimed that the file was corrupt and offered to repair it. The repair failed and LO failed to open the file. However, when I double-clicked the .xps file, it opened with the same document viewer which opens .pdf files. Try using your PDF reader to open the file.
JonnyReb

Post by JonnyReb »

I tried to use the pdf reader and even adobe reader nothing. However, I did some more research and discovered that oxps and xps files have to do with Microsoft and that the xps viewer is needed which some how had been remover. Reinstalled and good to go. Thanks. Were do I go to put solved on the original post.. Don't even know how to find original post. Your forum is different than others I have used.