Will uninstalling AOO keep my files?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
AliSan

Will uninstalling AOO keep my files?

Post by AliSan »

When I installed OpenOffice, it automatically converted all my word files into Open Office files.
I want to uninstall Open Office. If I uninstall, will it also delete all my files? Or will they go back to being word files?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove Known Issues icon
Open Office 4.0 on Windows 7
robleyd

Re: Uninstalling Do I Keep My Files

Post by robleyd »

When you installed Apache OpenOffice (AOO), you probably chose the option to set AOO as the default program to open Office type files. This does not convert MS Office files; it merely changes the icon for those files to the program selected to open them by default.

If you uninstall AOO, your files will remain. You may have to reset the file associations the MS Office if that is what you use after removal of AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
AliSan

Post by AliSan »

How do I reset the file associations?
Open Office 4.0 on Windows 7
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

You can go to the Control Panel, Default Programs. From there you can select which program opens which extension. Note this is a Windows matter, not related to AOO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Most programs will do the association automatically if you select the default installation settings.
It is the last program you installed that will have the associations set. This is the reason some people have problems when having two or more office programs installed on the same system.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also: [Tutorial] Setting the default program to open files.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10