[Solved] Installation problem

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
PJC

[Solved] Installation problem

Post by PJC »

I'm running Windows Pro 10 64-bit and I cannot get Open Office to install on my machine. I have read many other posts and followed all the suggestions by others. I've added Java 64 and 32-bit. I've updated Windows Installer. There's one account on the machine and it's an admin. I named the account. The error message I'm getting is:
The installation package could not be
opened. Verify that the package exists and
that you can access it, or contact the
application vendor to verify that this is a
valid Windows installer package.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I've updated Windows and installed some other service features already suggested in other posts. I really need this program.
Last edited by PJC on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJC
Open Office 4.1.9 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Installation problem

Post by FJCC »

Let's start by verifying that you followed the standard installation steps. Did you:
Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/
Set the operating system choice to Windows 32-bit (x86) EXE
Click Download full installation
Let the download proceed automatically
Open your downloads folder and double click the installation folder
Get the error message you quoted?

If all of that is true, I would delete the installation file and try getting a new one using the same steps. Also, please note the exact file name if you still have trouble after the second download.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you kept the defaults settings? For download and where to extract the files? It usually extracts on the desktop IIRC. Providing another place may cause such issue.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PJC

Post by PJC »

Yes, I have kept the default settings. I honestly wouldn't know how to change them.
PJC
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Any security application that could interfere?
Like Windows Defender or another antivirus?
PJC

Post by PJC »

FJCC wrote:Let's start by verifying that you followed the standard installation steps. Did you:
Go to http://www.openoffice.org/download/
Set the operating system choice to Windows 32-bit (x86) EXE
Click Download full installation
Let the download proceed automatically
Open your downloads folder and double click the installation folder
Get the error message you quoted?

If all of that is true, I would delete the installation file and try getting a new one using the same steps. Also, please note the exact file name if you still have trouble after the second download.

I have done all of that. I have downloaded the file multiple times from the Apache site. The most recent file name is:
Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.9_Win_x86_install_en-us(14)

As you can see, I've tried downloading 14 different times, making adjustments based on other forum posts.
PJC
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try LibreOffice...
PJC

Post by PJC »

Hagar Delest wrote:Any security application that could interfere?
I disabled Windows Defender based on a suggestion from someone else's forum post. I do have Hitman Pro Alert on the computer. I don't think it interferes, though. However, I will uninstall it if you think it will help.
PJC
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just disable it until you see if that is sufficient; if so, you can ask how to set it to allow Openoffice install.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PJC

Post by PJC »

PJC wrote:
Hagar Delest wrote:Any security application that could interfere?
I disabled Windows Defender based on a suggestion from someone else's forum post. I do have Hitman Pro Alert on the computer. I don't think it interferes, though. However, I will uninstall it if you think it will help.

I uninstalled Hitman Pro and tried the OO installation again. I still got the same error.
PJC
PJC

Post by PJC »

Hagar Delest wrote:Try LibreOffice...
LibreOffice gave me the same message.
PJC
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may have to right click on the installation file and select "Run as Administrator".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PJC

Post by PJC »

RoryOF wrote:You may have to right click on the installation file and select "Run as Administrator".
I've done that, as well. Just tried it again. Same thing. I know this sounds crazy, but I feel like there's a problem with my Windows 10. I've updated it and tried reinstalling it. Windows won't do it because I already have Windows 10 Pro.
PJC
NZ_LinuxStudent

Post by NZ_LinuxStudent »

Dear PJC,

Please try this solution from Microsoft. It for 8.1 but always worth a check, cannot verify as using non-windows systems. If Windows-10 is still using User Acount Control, try disabling this first, but turn it back on when you are all done :)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 9ad3a7c5eb

It seems that your problem will originate in Windows and not from the installers themselves. If you are in desperate need of using ApacheOpenOffice, please use the PortableApps version (available here - https://portableapps.com/apps/office/op ... e_portable). I do not recommend portable applications for long-term use, but this should suffice until you get you windows installer issue repaired.

If you want to resolve your windows issue, try searching your error message in search engines for a solution, and apply that. Otherwise you could fully remove windows from your computer and do a fresh installation, NOTE THAT this will completeley erase all your data from your computer, but will give you a fresh slate to begin with. To download Windows follow this link -> https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
OpenOffice 4.5.0 on LMDE 4 Debbie
PJC

Re: SOLVED: Installation problem

Post by PJC »

Thanks to everyone for your guidance. I actually created a new admin profile and deleted the old one. It seems as though it was corrupted profile. I have successfully installed Open Office! Thanks, again!
PJC
WanhedaNC

Re: [Solved] Installation problem

Post by WanhedaNC »

Glad you got that figured out. I had a similar problem where I had moved an install file I had downloaded a long time ago (before 10) and had relocated it from my external hard drive onto one of the drives on my system. No matter what I did, it wouldn't let me install or even move that file back out of the directory. That's when I learned about the new system of ownership that is used and applied on certain directories and the 'fun' you get to have in order to reclaim the file from the grips of Windows. That is a subject for another reply though, but still something to keep in the back of your mind.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10