[Solved] Afraid to Update: Prev got "File locked for Update"

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
David12846

[Solved] Afraid to Update: Prev got "File locked for Update"

Post by David12846 »

Hi folks,

I'm using Version 4.1.7 . The last time I updated OO (to version 4.1.8) in November 2020, every odt and ods file I tried to open I received the "File locked for Update by unknown User" message. I was able to revert back to Version 4.1.7 by using System Restore. After I was able to get Version 4.1.7 working again, I recall I either added or removed my name from my User Profile, or I added or left my name blank when I did the update.

Right now, my User Profile only shows my initials and I can open odt and ods files.

I'm debating whether to make an attempt at updating my OO again or stay with Version 4.1.7 . Could someone tell me "things" I should or should not do when I update OO? I don't recall if my OO can be used by all Users on my computer or just me. That question is usually asked during an install/update. If I answered that question the wrong way last time I tried to do an update, I wonder if that may have locked my files.

Thanks

David12846

PS - Still on Windows 7 (64-bit). Hope to get a Win 10 Pro in a few weeks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OOo 4.1.9 on Ms Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Afraid to Update OO - Prev got "File locked for Update"

Post by Hagar Delest »

It should work a treat without any issue. I'm not sure there is a "wrong" way to answer the installation question. Leave the defaults for everything, that's the best bet.
You can upgrade and then reset your OpenOffice user profile.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The "unknown user" message arises because your OpenOffice and computer were not properly closed down before you attempted to install the newer version of OpenOffice.

With OpenOffice closed make the following checks: inspect the folder(s) in which you Save your files, with "viewing of hidden and archive files" turned on. Delete any lock files you find - these are similar to

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
Such lock files will have a size of only a few hundred bytes; the file they have locked will be several KB in size.

Then open the OpenOffice User Profile (details at
[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile

Again, enable viewing of hidden file; beside the User folder you may see a .lock file; delete that. That is the file that prevented you installing last time and was left over after a bad closedown of OpenOffice and/or the computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
David12846

Post by David12846 »

I decided to try and update OO. The new version (V 4.1.9) installed without a problem :) . I was also able to open my oldest odt file (from 2005) and my newest one from earlier today :D .

During the installation, I did not change anything that was in a pre-filled box. One of those boxes is shown here:
Install.jpg
Last time, before I did the update, I happened to look at my OpenOffice User Data in "Tools>Options". In my User Data, all the fields were empty except for the box that said Initials. So, when I attempted to update OO last time, I deleted the Organization displayed in the installation image shown above. Open Office (and Calc) would not run. I kept getting "File locked by unknown User". I had to use System Restore to revert back to the previous version of OO.

David12846
OOo 4.1.9 on Ms Windows 7