[Solved] Writer Not Opening

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Steve5

[Solved] Writer Not Opening

Post by Steve5 »

I'm trying to open an Open Office Writer document, I click on it, I get the rotating circle for a couple of seconds, but that goes away and it's not opening. I tried right-clicking, up to "open," and also "open with" (Open Office), but it's not opening. So I tried clicking the main Open Office icon, but that doesn't open either. I tried other Writer documents I have, and they're not opening either. What is going on?

When I click an Impress slide show, that opens.
Last edited by robleyd on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]; add green tick
Libre Office 6.4.7.2, Open Office 4.1.10, Windows (ugh) 10
RoryOF

Re: Writer Not Opening

Post by RoryOF »

Try starting Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill all soffice processes shown on TM's tabs. If that doesn't work there may be a problem with your file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

What TM tabs? Under the Processes tab - Background Processes, there are a lot of Open Office Writer's running.

I have to correct something. The slide shows don't open in Open Office, they open in Libre Office. I tried opening the Writer docs in Libre Office, and they do open. So there's nothing wrong with the (Writer) files.

Should I just uninstall and reinstall Open Office?

Thank you.
Steve5

Post by Steve5 »

I rebooted, clicked the icon, and for a split second saw the window that you get to re-open a document that was closed prematurely. But the window disappeared. So I right clicked, up to open, that re-opened that window, I clicked cancel, and then the document opened. They all open now.