[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.9 install problem on Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
silocke

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.9 install problem on Windows 10

Post by silocke »

I have been using OpenOffice 4.1.5 for several years now and just saw the announcement of the new release 4.1.9. I uninstalled 4.1.5 via the standard Application removal process in windows, downloaded 4.1.9, and launched the installer. The installer stops in the middle of extracting the files. I then tried to install prior versions: 4.1.7 and finally 4.1.5 and have the same problem. So now I am unable to get a clean install of OpenOffice. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by silocke on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.9 install problem on Windows 10

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Have you checked the signatures and hashes? See: https://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Does [Tutorial] Problems with Windows Defender under Windows 10 help?

Perhaps switch off Defender (and any anti-virus software) during the installation. Or start the PC is Safe Mode (google for how) and do the install.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
silocke

Post by silocke »

I turned off Windows Defender and still was unable to resolve the issue of with the downloaded package not completing the installation. I decided to launch the Setup.exe in the installation directory that Apache created in the desktop folder. I also changed the property of the setup file to run in Windows 8 compatibility mode. I'm not sure whether running the program in Windows 8 compatibility mode resolved the issue or running the Setup.exe program directly was the solution.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

silocke wrote:I'm not sure whether running the program in Windows 8 compatibility mode resolved the issue or running the Setup.exe program directly was the solution.
It's a permissions issue. Running from the desktop solved it.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
silocke

Re: [Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.9 install problem on Windows 10

Post by silocke »

Thanks for the knowledge. Appreciate your help.