Unstable OpenOffice 4.1.9

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Mikael P.

Unstable OpenOffice 4.1.9

Post by Mikael P. »

Hello,
I'm wondering if there's some best practice for getting a good experience out of OO? I'm not really doing anything special when writing but every so often the little bugger will crash on me. If I'm lucky it does a nice work of recovering my text but recently it's failed the recovery too. Apart from writing everything in notepad and copying to open office is there anything else I can be doing?

Thanks for the assistance.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Unstable Open office 4.1.9

Post by RoryOF »

A first step in diagnosis is to start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice runs stable in that mode.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Unstable OpenOffice 4.1.9

Post by John_Ha »

Mikael P. wrote:I'm wondering if there's some best practice for getting a good experience out of OO?
AOO tends to be rock solid so it is probably something on your PC interfering with it. As Rory recommends, do a test by running it is Safe Mode. If running in Safe Mode fixes it we can then track down the culprit.

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

In the meantime, Tools > Options > Load/Save. Select Always create backup copy and set AutoRecovery to, say, 5 minutes.
Last edited by John_Ha on Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. »

lol so it's not only Maya that has that as default solution.
No, it's really a question of Open office being unstable. It's been like that for years and I've never bothered asking. Now I'm so fed up so I thought I might as well ask!
Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. »

John_Ha wrote:AOO tends to be rock solid so it is probably something on your PC interfering with it.
Interesting hearing you saying that. It's been really flaky across all machines I've been using.

Can't remember the last time I had to start in safe mode :D
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Mikael P. wrote:No, it's really a question of Open office being unstable. It's been like that for years
It may have been like that for you for years. For 99.9999% of users it is, like for me, rock solid. We therefore need to see what is different on your PC.

If you want assistance, try the two things you have been asked to try.
Mikael P. wrote:It's been really flaky across all machines I've been using.
That suggests looking for something like a background utility common on all your machines. Clipboard utilities are notoriously problematic.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Since 10 years there is a new OpenOffice: https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. »

John_Ha wrote:If you want assistance, try the two things you have been asked to try.
I had no intention of sounding flippant. It was more of surprise, I've been so accustomed to that solution with Maya. But it's great hearing that this might ease things for open office! I will get back and report if I have any nasty surprises in the following days.
Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. »

Villeroy wrote:Since 10 years there is a new OpenOffice: https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/
I did try that a few years ago. Maybe I should give it a go once again. Thanks for the reminder!
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It would also help if you could

a) be quite specific about exactly what you did to cause a crash (AOO disappears completely) or hang (AOO stays but is unresponsivce), and
b) whether it is reproduce-able - ie can you force it to occur?

Mikael P.

Post by Mikael P. »

John_Ha wrote:It would also help if you could

a) be quite specific about exactly what you did to cause a crash (AOO disappears completely) or hang (AOO stays but is unresponsivce), and
b) whether it is reproduce-able - ie can you force it to occur?
Indeed. I perfectly well understand the nature of posting a question like I did. But I've learnt something at least thanks to you lot!