OpenOffice and Java

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
sgery987

OpenOffice and Java

Post by sgery987 »

I downloaded open office and tried to create a database. It said I needed Java so I downloaded and installed Java. The program is not identifying Java on its own and I can't find it to add. What am I doing wrong.
Open Office 4.1.9 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Open Office and Java

Post by robleyd »

Short answer: OpenOffice for Windows is a 32 bit application and needs 32 bit Java, which can be installed as well as the 64 bit version which is probably what you downloaded.

More information can be found at Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice and Java

Post by Villeroy »

And you should use LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice. This would solve a lot more problems, including this one because it is availlable as 64-bit software for Windows 8 and 10.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
rje_nc

Re: OpenOffice and Java

Post by rje_nc »

*** I found a solution to my Java issue: If I remove both OO and Java and then first install OO and then install the Java JRE, OO will then see the java JRE and it can be selected. My macro is working fine now in the new install.

Bob

I just installed OpenOffice 4.1.9 on a newly installed Windows 10 Pro system and I cannot get Java to be recognized by OpenOffice. The dialog is blank that should display the installed JRE.

I did install the 32 bit version of Java 8 v28. I installed the JRE and later tried installing the JDK to see if that would be recognized, that also did not work.

I need Java working to use a Macro that I use regularly with document creation. Is there a way to activate Java in the Win10 version of OpenOffice?
OpenOffice 4.1.11
MacOS Catalina, Windows 10