[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.8 Taskbar icon

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
tonybutton

[Solved] OpenOffice 4.1.8 Taskbar icon

Post by tonybutton »

I have recently installed Version 4.1.8 on my Windows 10 laptop. In all previous versions I've used over the last 5+ years, the taskbar icon has always been a smaller version of the desktop icon, what I call the 2 seagulls. Now, however, the taskbar icon is a plain sheet of paper, folded in one corner. Is this a deliberate change or have I missed something in the installation ? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Windows 10 Open Office 4.1.8
FJCC

Re: Open Office 4.1.8 Taskbar icon

Post by FJCC »

Is this what you see?
icon.JPG
icon.JPG (11.01 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
I think that is normal.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
tonybutton

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.8 Taskbar icon

Post by tonybutton »

Thanks for your reply. I attach a screenshot which explains better what I mean. On the screen you can see the Open Office shortcut on the left hand side. The icon is the familiar blue and white '2 birds' symbol. On the bottom of the screen in the taskbar, the Open Office icon (2nd from the right) is just a sheet of paper with a fold top right. Before I upgraded to 4.1.8, it was a smaller version of the full shortcut icon. I just wonder whether this is intentional or if an error occurred during the upgrade procedure. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Screen shot showing shortcut and taskbar icons
Screen shot showing shortcut and taskbar icons
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If I recall correctly, OpenOffice doesn't put the icon on the Taskbar, it is pinned there by the user. Have you tried removing the old icon and pinning a new one?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
tonybutton

Post by tonybutton »

Hi, Bill, you're quite correct, pinning the icon to the taskbar must be done manually. However, when I 'drag' the shortcut icon to the taskbar, it magically turns into the 'sheet with a fold' icon you can see in the screenshot. I'm beginning to think it may be something to do with the taskbar itself, rather than Open Office, but it only occurred after I upgraded to 4.1.8 and as you can see other apps like Thunderbird don't have this issue. Open Office on Windows 10 must be a common setup, can anyone replicate the problem ?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This may be a Windows 10 problem. See if this helps:

Windows 10 Quick Launch icons showing as 'blank page'
tonybutton

Post by tonybutton »

Hi, Bill, I tried the 2 suggested solutions without success. Rebuilding the Icon Cache (solution 1) didn't work and solution 2 refers to an issue with a desktop shortcut. I uninstalled/reinstalled the app (the quitter's strategy) but the problem persists. I can certainly live with the situation, I'm just surprised no-one else has reported it.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

You should be able to change the icon. The correct icon should be embedded in the soffice.exe file installed by OpenOffice. You may need to navigate to that file to see and select the icon on the "Change Icon" window (see the links below).

How do I change Taskbar Icon picture

How to Change Taskbar Icons for Programs in Windows 10
tonybutton

Post by tonybutton »

Bill, you're a genius. Although it's a small thing, having the wrong icon would have annoyed me forever. Thanks very much for your help.