[Solved] Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
LilleKraake

[Solved] Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character

Post by LilleKraake »

I have a lot of information regarding this issue, so I wrote a list for ease of reading:
  • *A few hours ago, I purchased a font called Stitchin Crochet Pro by Adriprints from MyFonts.com.
    *I successfully installed it on my laptop, which runs Windows 10 64 bit.
    *The font was created to work with a standard American QWERTY keyboard.
    *I have a Norwegian keyboard, which I set to US English, and have been able to use other US based fonts successfully.
    *I am able to type every character contained in this font in all other programs (that allow you to select a font,) but for reasons unknown, I cannot type the symbol
    Image in Open Office.
    *To type that symbol, one types quotation marks " and I do that in Photoshop, WordPad, Notepad, any other program, and it works as directed.
    *When I attempt to type " in Open Office using that font, I get the wrong symbol.
    *It doesn't matter if I type it in the OO document I'm working in, a fresh document, or restart my computer and try both again; it doesn't work.
    *No other key produces that symbol in OO either.
    *When I came to this forum to see if someone else had a similar issue, I learned that there was a new version of OO, so I installed that and tried it all again, to no avail.
    *I don't know how to assign the symbol to a different key that would work across the board.
    *I can copy the symbol from Windows Character Map (or the other applications in which the font works properly,) but that is a clunky solution that interrupts my workflow and wastes time.
Does anyone know:
  • *What is causing OO to fail to produce that symbol when it works in other programs?
    *How to assign that symbol to a different key within the font?*
Thank you for your time, I hope someone can help.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Open Office 4.1.5, Windows 10 64 bit
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character in Open Of

Post by Bill »

"US English" sounds like an input language setting, which is not the same as a keyboard layout. In Windows 10, the keyboard layout should just be "US" with no language. Did you add the "US English" input language with the "US" keyboard layout? Did you add the "US" keyboard layout to the Norwegian input language?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
keme
Volunteer

Re: Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character inOpen Off

Post by keme »

Check:
  • Menu item Tools - Autocorrect options ...
  • Tab Localized Options
  • Make sure Double quotes - Replace is not ticked.
With Norwegian menus, IIRC:
  • Menyvalg Verktøy - Alternativer for autokorrektur ...
  • Kortfane Lokaliserte valg
  • Fjern avkryssing for Doble hermetegn - Erstatt.
LilleKraake

Re: Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character in Open Of

Post by LilleKraake »

Bill wrote:"US English" sounds like an input language setting, which is not the same as a keyboard layout. In Windows 10, the keyboard layout should just be "US" with no language. Did you add the "US English" input language with the "US" keyboard layout? Did you add the "US" keyboard layout to the Norwegian input language?
I took screenshots while hovering over the input language text in the system tray. It is currently set to using the Norwegian keyboard. I can switch to a US keyboard layout by pressing the Window key + spacebar, but that does not solve my issue.

RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character

Post by RoryOF »

If you are typing " in OpenOffice, be aware that it can be set to turn straight quotes into curly quotes (a setting in /Tools /Autocorrect Options : Localiized Options tab); such curly quotes will not read correctly to any application expecting straight quotes. Unset that option and try again.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LilleKraake

Re: Purchased Font, Cannot Use Specific Character inOpen Off

Post by LilleKraake »

keme wrote:Check:
  • Menu item Tools - Autocorrect options ...
  • Tab Localized Options
  • Make sure Double quotes - Replace is not ticked.
With Norwegian menus, IIRC:
  • Menyvalg Verktøy - Alternativer for autokorrektur ...
  • Kortfane Lokaliserte valg
  • Fjern avkryssing for Doble hermetegn - Erstatt.
It was indeed ticked. Unticking it worked, hallelujah. Thank you for your help.