[Solved] OO denies me as an administrator (Avast)

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
alainfrenchman

[Solved] OO denies me as an administrator (Avast)

Post by alainfrenchman »

[SOLVED]
I am an old user of OO since numerous years and familiar with the use of it, although I am an extensive user, I am not an IT technician and would like to receive advices in a novice/beginner language (not in IT jargon that I would not understand - I know you all ! LOL https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=15# )
Windows 8.1 - 64 bits - OO 4.7.1
I am the only user of the computer and registered as Administrator as well (of course)
I, suddenly, have the fact that OO does not open straight away any document (double click from document list) and I cannot identify the origin of this pb. Could it be an automatic overnight Window Update ?
This relates to all existing documents for more than 10 years.
It replies with the screen attached : IE Document already in use and locked by "Unknown User"
If I open it as a "Copy" (middle option on that screen) after working on it and saving it, it would not open it again (unless I request another "Copy") and does the same again and again only producing numerous copies of the same document.
I cannot suppress or modify any existing document.
If clicking on the OO icon on my desk, it does not load the whole OO start page and freeze it at 3/4.
If clicking on the OO icon on the works bar, it does load the whole OO page and allows the viewing of all options ... producing later the "Unknown user" page.
Using the MS compatibility resolution tool it says : "SOFFICE" in not compatible.
What I have already done :
- Checked all MS screens where the "Administrator" is designed or "All users" OK
- Opened the doc being an administrator (RH click)
- Restored the whole system. Tried all restoration points available. Depending of restoration point chosen, it even does not show the rejecting page and does nothing and/or freeze. I have got the best result with restoration point nearest the date of the problem. Computer a bit slow now.
- Repaired the OO program - then uninstalled it and re-installed it again. All the same.
- Ran Avast and Malware. OK
It looks that OO does not recognize me as been the only user and administrator whatever I do.
I am on the edge to try Libre Office or buy MS Office (but try not to give my money away)
Thanks for your ideas .............. But remember in novice language.
Alain
Last edited by robleyd on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added important keyword to subject to improve search results; add green tick
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
RoryOF

Re: OO Does denies me as an administrator

Post by RoryOF »

First: enable "viewing of hidden and archive files"; I don't use current Windows, so cannot give detailed instructions on how to do that, but presumably Google will help.

When you have that enabled, with OpenOffice closed, look in the root of your OpenOffice User Profile - details are given in

[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile

In the user profile, under the folder .../4/ you should find another folder called "user". Beside it there may be a hidden file .lock; delete this.

Now look in the various folders in which you Save your files. You may find files with names similar to this

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFileName.odt#
They will have size of merely a few hundred bytes, whereas their "owning" file will be several kilobytes.

Delete these; now start OpenOffice and see are matters any better.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
alainfrenchman

Post by alainfrenchman »

Dear Rory !

Thanks for your time spending at helping me. It is very much appreciated - especially as I am still a beginner.
I have also found some information on the topic :
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=99158
I have found MOSTLY everything you mentioned. Exceptions follows after.
This is what I have done :
- Make sure the hidden files were visible (They were actually already visible)
- Found the folder .../4. In fact I have got 2 : One under the user name of ALAIN and other one under the user name of ALAIN DUFOUR
- Renamed the folder(s) individually and then both (user.old and/or then OpenOffice.old) for both users.
- OOo when launched has created new folders (User and/or OpenOffice) for new profiles.
RESULT : Issue was not fixed, although something has changed in the pop-up screen captured in my post :
The mention "Utilisateur inconnu" (means "Unknown user" as you have figured) was replaced by my names (ALAIN or Alain DUFOUR) but the documents files were still not opening normally.

What I have not done :
- I have not found anywhere : From your advice : CODE: SELECT ALL EXPAND VIEW .~lock.MyFileName.odt#
- I have not found anywhere : From the advice of the Tuto viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426 in the bundle(s) : extensions.pmap and extensions.db
These 2 things are not present anywhere.

After these tests, I have the impression that it is not the "User Profile" which is wrong (as I could correct them - but it is not a worry) but the fact that OOo does not identify me as the "Administrator" and do not give me rights to manage the files which is probably working from a different area of the program.

Would you mind to look into :
- The fact that the lines mentioned by you and the Tuto are not there - or be more clear where I should find them, if you would think that they should be somewhere where I have not looked ?
- The origin of the way that OOo does not identify me as Administrator and denies my rights.

Thank you very much (from rainy Sheffield UK) for your time and expertise.
Best regards
Alain
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
alainfrenchman

Post by alainfrenchman »

Hello again Rory,
What do you think of deleting all personal informations contained in the ROOTS that might cause the bug - de-install the rest and just downloading a new program again to let it re-install the correct default ones ?
I say that because I have noticed that a straight "de-installation" with the MS tool, does not de-install all the personal infos contained in some "hiden" file and I already have tried to de-install/re-install OOo with the MS tool without result.
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

.~lock.MyFileName.odt#
will have the MyFileName section replaced with the names of your files and the .odt replaced with the types of your files .odt, .ods etc.

Delete any such files.

At a Command Prompt in Windows - on my one remaining very old Windows, from the Start button select "Run", type cmd in its entry box; on the terminal screen that opens enter
cd .. <press Enter>
cd .. <press Enter>
Note, two identical entries to get to the root directory
then type

echo %username% <enter>
to see who you are logged on as.

The name returned should match one of your OpenOffice user profile names.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you wish to remove any influence of older versions of OpenOffice, which in this case you should do before reinstalling, simply edit the ALAIN to ZALAIN in both instances of the User profile. When/If the problem is solved, these folders and their subfolders can then be removed. A new installation will make a new user profile under your current logged in name.
alainfrenchman

Post by alainfrenchman »

Hi Rory,
I have done what you advised @6:14 yesterday :
It returned "ALAIN" which is my name on the computer.
This is still a name which is not recognized when trying to open my documents.

I have tried what you advised @6:18 yesterday :
I also have renamed the computer name to ALAIN in the hope that there would be only one name user.
In the expansion of C:\ I cannot edit ALAIN to rename it to ZALAIN. So I have left it with ALAIN
I could edit ALAIN DUFOUR and have renamed it as ZALAIN DUFOUR
I uninstalled OO and reinstalled it.
ALAIN is still the same (old versions from 2017-01-11 to 2020-08-27) and has not been updated by the new installation
ACER-ALAIN is updated as off to-day (2020-08-28) in which I find ALAIN and all my documents and files (but cannot open them from there)
ZALAIN DUFOUR is still the same (2017-01-11)
Files and documents still do not open correctly.

Do you think that I should take the risk to delete ALAIN ? And that it should be created again ?
I still cannot find any of the files that you indicated (.~lock.MyFileName.odt#) or indicated on the tuto.

It really looks that the problem is not "User Profile" but an authorization from administrator to edit requested files.
Where is this authorization given ? and what does it ?
I am a bit lost at the moment. Your advice is very much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Alain
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
alainfrenchman

Post by alainfrenchman »

Hello Rory + all followers of this post.

Thank you all for contributing !
We were all of us on the wrong path.
I have discovered that the problem was (is) caused by my anti-virus (actual problem isn't it ?) Avast.
This App is blocking all files edited with OOo and LOo and just allow them in reading or copy mode.
We are all concerned by viruses coming from the outside world, but the action of anti-virus from inside/local is as much pernicious and not immediately thought off.

This is explaining why I had no errors messages or #lock(s) and that my structure of OOo was right and not corrupted. Also my User's Profile was right ..... although my actions have nor damaged anything.
I have tried this without the anti-virus many times before posting and is quite sure causing the PB.

I have informed Avast of the BUG and wait for their reply/action .................. If there is any ?
This is a general way of doing in research of bugs and we should be as suspicious of viruses as off anti-viruses.
No doubt that other folks will get the same problem ?

There is matter for a Tuto and I let you do it, you are in a better place !

Thanks anyway and sorry for the misleading

Alain
PS :I will close the post after that
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [SOLVED] OO Does denies me as an administrator

Post by Bill »

It has been reported that this problem is often caused by ransomware protection programs. Have you looked at the ransomware settings in Avast? I would suspect that you need to change the settings to allow OpenOffice access to the folders protected by Avast Ransomware Shield. I do not use Windows or Avast, so I can't tell you which settings to change.

[Solved] .odt filess locked by unknown user
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
alainfrenchman

Re: [Solved] OO denies me as an administrator (Avast)

Post by alainfrenchman »

Hello Bill + Rory + All followers,

Using Avast - and found of it - I have had a look at all options available and NONE seems to work.
For exemple, I have tried to exempt from their analysis ; OOo, LOo programs, files, documents, etc ... None is operative and works.
I have posted a comment on that bug to Avast. Will they consider it ? ................ And answer ?
I will work myself round it : deactivate it when working and wait for a solution.
I am glad enough to have found the reason of bug.
Amitiés à tous and watch your back.
Keep safe
Alain
PS : I propose to close this post now as we have been round it. Please moderator do it.
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Deactivating your protection should not be required in order to use any proper program.
Instead, there should be a method of adding the program to your anti-viruses "white" list... that is, to say, a list of programs that you have authorized.
I don't use Avast any longer, so I can't advise as to how to do this, but I do recommend you try to find it and use that option rather than disabling your virus protection.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
alainfrenchman

Post by alainfrenchman »

OK Thanks Russel + all followers,

I fully agree with you and also previous advice.
I have tried quickly this to-day after discovering the BUG.
I will try it again in day light.

That's it. I have added SOLVED at the first post

Thanks again to every body, it was comforting to belong to this community
Amitiés à tous
Alain
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't know if this is a bug. Avast has a list of programs that it allows or blocks by default. AOO and LO are probably not on that list, so the user must add them. I found Avast's instructions online:

Using the Blocked & Allowed apps settings screen in Avast Antivirus
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
alainfrenchman

Post by alainfrenchman »

[SOLVED] Dear Bill and all contributors,
Thanks for Avast link.
You are right. Probably not a bug stricto census. But when you do not know, how does a novice call it ? I say sorry to the purists.
After going deep into the question, I think that is is more complicated than at first look.
- Is it the programs OOo & LOo which are blocking - as such ? Or is it more due to the association of a file (any kind) with a program to edit it ? Like :
- It is all the documents when they are associated to be opened under OOo - under the MS configuration panel "Which program by default to open which files" (or such other bad translation from French) - which are causing problem.
- For proof, any document like .PNG is also blocked if wanted to be parametered and opened under OOo.
- The same document is OK to edit with Paint when Paint is made the default program to open this kind of file.
- All the documents created by myself are saved as .doc (for easy reading by my partners) So it not OOo as .odt which is blocking opening the doc. It is more the association of a doc with a program to open it.
- Avast contain a section "Ransomware" which automatically list all your files. This "Black list" contained without me knowing my documents files (which were causing problems)
- I have put this specific file "Documents" in the "White List" and then Avast does not check this file for ransomware.
- Note that removing the specific file from general scan does not do the job. Only under the ransomware section does.
- I will look in detail to see if it is worth to put OOo & LOo as programs in Black List instead of the documents themselves ? This would spare all other formats of the docs (.pdf .png. .rtf and so on !)
- Thanks to have pointed me in the right direction.

To the moderator and administrator. Is this problem worth a tuto ? This post has reached a lot of interest. And it looks that a lot of Avast users could be involved and then the title of this post in no more relevant.
It should be "AVAST anti-ransomware blocks files when edited with OOo & LOo"
Thank you to all helping me to discover the whole thing.
Amitiés
Alain
PS : To bill : LOo has got a 7.0 version
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1 with 64 bits