[Solved] script.xlc and dialog.xlc missing/corrupted

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JasonS

[Solved] script.xlc and dialog.xlc missing/corrupted

Post by JasonS »

Hello, I downloaded the new 4.1.7 on to Win 10 2004 and I am getting this error. I found this fix, but do not know exactly where to go in my computer and I don't understand exactly what the below is saying. Something I just found out is I am only getting this error when trying to open a Doc from an email and specifically yahoo.

General error or General input/output error
This error message indicates that the files script.xlc and dialog.xlc could be missing or corrupted. In UNIX-based environments, look for them in the directory
$HOME/.openoffice.org<release>/user/basic
or, in Windows ®:
C:\Document and Settings\<username>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org<release>\user\basic

To fix the problem, exit OpenOffice.org (including the Quickstarter, if it is running) and copy the files as detailed below.

In UNIX-based environments, copy from the directory
<where_OOo_is_installed>/presets/basic/
to
$HOME/.openoffice.org<release>/user/basic

On a Windows® computer, copy from
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org<release>\presets\basic
to
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\OpenOffice.org<release>\user\basic

Note: To be absolutely safe, one could also delete the local settings directory. By doing this, however, all personal settings and customizations could be lost.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; Changed subject, was: How specifically do I accomplish this General error or Gener…
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win 10 2004 19041.388
MrProgrammer

Re: Files script.xlc and dialog.xlc missing/corrupted

Post by MrProgrammer »

JasonS wrote:Hello, I downloaded the new 4.1.7 on to Win 10 2004 and I am getting this error. I found this fix, but do not know exactly where to go in my computer and I don't understand exactly what the below is saying.
• Files script.xlc and dialog.xlc missing/corrupted
• General error or General input/output error
• This error message indicates that the files script.xlc and dialog.xlc could be missing or corrupted.
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I am sorry no one has responded. It is best to search before posting: Search found 32 matches: +script +xlc +dialog +xlc

Some of those topics suggest that a new profile might correct the problem: The OOo user profile
If you use macros, first read [Solved] Calc macros not visible/available after AOO upgrade
JasonS wrote:Something I just found out is I am only getting this error when trying to open a Doc from an email and specifically yahoo.
You may have better success with saving the email attachment to your desktop or a directory on your computer, then using OpenOffice to open the file you saved. This may avoid the need to create a new profile.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).