OS is Windows7 on usb. Can I download OO to same usb?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
neillongsden

OS is Windows7 on usb. Can I download OO to same usb?

Post by neillongsden »

My laptop totally packed up and I now run it from Windows 7 on USB as the OS but do not have word processor etc. Can I download Open Office onto the same USB and run it please? Please note I am 76yrs old techno thicky so please put your advice in plain English. Best wishes... Neil
Open Office 4.1.5. on Windows XP desktop
RoryOF

Re: os is windows7 on usb. Can I download OO to same usb?

Post by RoryOF »

You should be able to do this all right; you may have to select to do a Custom installation when installing OpenOffice - it depends what drive your USB is mapped to on your computer. My Windows experience is years out of date, so best to wait for assistance from someone more up to date with Windows.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
robleyd

Re: os is windows7 on usb. Can I download OO to same usb?

Post by robleyd »

Apache OpenOffice Portable might better suit your needs, assuming either a) you have more than one USB port available or b) if only one port, you can remove the Windows memory stick whilst your computer is running.

The link has instructions on how to get the application up and running. Caveat - I have never used the portable version; others here have.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
neillongsden

Re: OS is Windows7 on usb. Can I download OO to same usb?

Post by neillongsden »

Thank you so much for the two very quick responses. I will give it a try on a seperate usb (Ihave more than 1 usb port) and try Apache Open Office Portable. I am already using OO on my XP desktop which my son revived back to life when my laptop died. It may save me having to go shopping whilst Covid is still around. Best wishes... Neil
Open Office 4.1.5. on Windows XP desktop
RoryOF

Re: OS is Windows7 on usb. Can I download OO to same usb?

Post by RoryOF »

Your XP desktop could be converted to a linux distro, which will give it years of added life. I use Xubuntu 20.04.1 - this machine is 2009 and does all I need.

Before converting a machine to linux, you can try any linux distro you like by running it in "try linux" mode from a live DVD or USB; the USB is faster, but an older machine may not boot from a live USB.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS