OpenOffice keeps crashing on Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
JuergThuering

OpenOffice keeps crashing on Windows 10

Post by JuergThuering »

Hi All

I have a Problem that is bringing me to the point of abandoning Open Office:
Once in a while, writer and/or calc are just crashing without warning and most of the time, data is lost.

I have no clue what is going on. The system is clean and no other application is having any Problem.

That's the latest event:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2020-02-18T11:53:54.355118800Z

EventRecordID 47729

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-xxxxxxx

Security

- EventData

soffice.bin
5d6ec65c
sal3.dll
5d6ef075
c0000005
00004a0c
55b0
01d5e64044e4a1ba
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice.bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program\sal3.dll
b63e54c2-bdb5-40fb-8636-90a8e2fd63e2

Any ideas?

Cheers

Juerg
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Open Office keeps crashing

Post by John_Ha »

You will appreciate that only you among the millions and millions of users are having this problem so it is a problem on your PC.

It is probably one of the programs which starts when the PC starts causing the problem. Do a test: start the PC in Safe Mode. Is it OK? If so identify which startup program is causing the problem.

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

After resetting the profile uninstall AOO. Now download and install it. You should be asked for your user details when it installs - if you were not asked you did not reset the profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

Well, I would doubt that "only me" is having problems ;)
That's the General "support reply" that I know all too well, as one who works in IT ;)

But sure it is a problem on my PC and not one that affects everybody, but not a general misconfiguration or anything, as only open office is causing problems.

Starting in safe mode will barely be a feasible way, as the Problem is not reproducible easily.
It can work fine for several days, then suddenly OpenOffice crashes repeatedly!
So it sure is not a direct incompatibility, that would show when ever I launch office!

I also have a hard time thinking it is a compatibility theme if writer for example starts fine, works fine, I edit the document and suddenly writer (or calc) crashes, without any other application being launched or used in the meantime!

I was hoping that the event log entry could help point at the problem.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

We are not programmers on Forum, merely Users who help on a pro bono basis in our own time.

If the problem is as intermittent as "every few days", try running some logging program and examine the memory in use at time of a crash and what other programs are running at the same time. Is your computer powered on 24/7, or restarted every day? I'm thinking a possible memory leak.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

JuergThuering wrote:Well, I would doubt that "only me" is having problems
If it was a problem with AOO the forum would be inundated with thousands and thousands - if not millions - of posts about it.

The forum is not inundated with posts about crashing.

So it is entirely reasonable to believe it is a problem with your system.

Try the suggestions.

Google the 0x80000000000000 error code to get hits like Microsoft's How to Fix How To Fix Error 0x80000000000000, and Fixing Event Viewer Error 0x80000000000000 both of which which suggest it is a Windows problem.

AOO is probably calling a corrupted Windows dll file on your PC and is crashing as a result.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

RoryOF wrote:We are not programmers on Forum, merely Users who help on a pro bono basis in our own time.

If the problem is as intermittent as "every few days", try running some logging program and examine the memory in use at time of a crash and what other programs are running at the same time. Is your computer powered on 24/7, or restarted every day? I'm thinking a possible memory leak.
I am thinking about a memory leak as well. "Bad allocation" as occasional error message seems to point that way.
What logging programs to use?
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice keeps crashing

Post by RoryOF »

I haven't used Windows in over ten years, so I am out of touch with current Windows logging applications.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

John_Ha wrote:[

Try the suggestions.

Google the 0x80000000000000 error code to get hits like Microsoft's How to Fix How To Fix Error 0x80000000000000, and Fixing Event Viewer Error 0x80000000000000 both of which which suggest it is a Windows problem.

AOO is probably calling a corrupted Windows dll file on your PC and is crashing as a result.
That was helpful as a reply, thanks. I ran disc cleanup and sfc /scannow, without any findings (SFC reported no integrity violations, not really surprising)
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

JuergThuering wrote:
RoryOF wrote:We are not programmers on Forum, merely Users who help on a pro bono basis in our own time.

I am thinking about a memory leak as well. "Bad allocation" as occasional error message seems to point that way.
What logging programs to use?
On the other side, if it was a windows side memory management problem, other apps should cause problems as well.

The system itself is very stable and runs "around the clock", however it is restarted regularly, already because of software updates that come every few hours ;)
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

John_Ha wrote: AOO is probably calling a corrupted Windows dll file on your PC and is crashing as a result.
If that was the problem, the problem would be reproducible and should happen immediately, and not after minutes or hours of doing just the same, imho.
I just had it twice today:
I opened writer and copy pasted an internet article into it: Text as text, images as images, no hyperlinks or anything like that.
I work and work and work, and suddenly BANG, gone...
I cannot see where in the middle of the process another DLL should come into play suddenly, while only switching back and forth between Firefox and Writer.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Try the fixes on the link John_Ha posted. Also, a cursory reading of your crash dump suggests that sal3.dll might be giving problems, which ties in to the fixes on John_Ha's link. You want it fixed, you need to try some of the fixes.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

I tried all of the suggested fixes, (maybe I was not clear enough about it), also the second one involving DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and the subsequent sfc scan.
DISM finished with a "success" (and no other messages) and the subsequent sfc /scannow gave no errors.

For the "Download PC Repair & Optimizer Tool (Windows 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista – Microsoft Gold Certified)" mentioned here, I got a PUP warning from Malwarebytes, so I left my fingers away.

Currently I am about to remove and reinstall all C++ redistributables...
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

Question on that, I see that some C++ redist packs are installed in both versions, x64 and x86. Is this necessary or just a footprint of lazy software packagers?
Does it potentially harm?
sealyons

Post by sealyons »

I'm also having problems with OO 4.1.7 crashing on Win10 (primarily while using Draw, Writer, Calc). It has been crashing intermittently for months now and seems to crash every hour or so (more often when making lots of updates to docs). It typically catches the majority of my updates during recovery but I certainly have lost some things at times. I only use OO occasionally and haven't really needed to dig into it but my need for OO is increasing and I would like to try to figure out how to address my problems.

This is installed on my Dell laptop (i7, 16G Mem) running Win10 Home (Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362) and here's the main info from my current system summary:

OS Name -- Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version -- 10.0.18362 Build 18362
System Manufacturer -- Dell Inc.
System Model -- Inspiron 7590 2n1
System Type -- x64-based PC
System SKU -- 0908
Processor -- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Log Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date -- Dell Inc. 1.2.1, 4/25/2019
SMBIOS Version -- 3.1
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) -- 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory -- 6.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory -- 44.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory -- 9.30 GB
Page File Space -- 28.2 GB

I'm not seeing crashes due to any other programs. This may be just an issue with my installation but I'd appreciate any guidance on the best steps to take to try to resolve the crashes. Appreciate any help.
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 7 PRO
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The first step is to ensure Windows 10 is _fully_ updated, then restart the computer.

The next step is to test for interference from another program or driver on the computer. Start Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice runs stable while Windows is in that mode. If so, the problem is caused by some program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

So:
I did DISM... reports consistent
I did SFC /scannow... no problem
I did uninstall all C++ redistributables and reinstalled them

OO keeps crashing :(

It launches fine, no error ever, it just crashes sometime during work... while I do nothing else than filling in data (I just was working on a little spreadsheet, less than 50 cells used, just sums...

Any other ideas?

I doubt that we can find that problem with looking at the configuration. The computer runs fine and is extremely stable. I have no unusual software on it either.
I'd like to look under the hood, maybe there are some OO logs or logging that I could turn on, to get a clue what the problem might be?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Until you try running windows in Safe Mode, and OpenOffice in that mode, we will get nowhere.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

P.S. I cannot confirm no data is being lost: I loose all down to the last save... It just crashed again... when I <ALT><TAB> ed to switch to an explorer window.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

RoryOF wrote:Until you try running windows in Safe Mode, and OpenOffice in that mode, we will get nowhere.
And then run the PC potentially for days in Safe Mode, not able to use it properly?

Running it half an hour in safe mode means nothing, sometimes nothing happens for several days, on the other day it crashes every couple minutes.

But assuming I ran it in Safe Mode and it didn't crash for an extended period, would we have any finding that helps us find the source of the problem?
(I don't see that currently, that's why I am hesitant)

As I see it, we just would have a "good chance than one of the many services being started in normal mode interferes with OO", what is pretty safe to say already.
But what's the next step from there? How do we find the culprit?

And if it crashed anyway... would we know more? Information that helps cure the problem? (I don't see that either)

Don't take my doubts wrong: I seriously "don't know" and I want to see a sense and result from actions or it is just a waste of time.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If it runs satisfactorily in Windows Safe Mode, then the culprit is a program or driver that runs in Windows normal mode, and you would need to do some detective work to establish which application that is. Often culprits are continually running antivirus or anti ransomware programs that touch open OpenOffice files. Also, continual backup applications that do the same have caused crashes in the past. But they are not the only possibilities.

I was reminded by another post recently that Carbonite, which I think does continuous backup, was reported some years ago as making OO crash. I think the solution at that time was to tell Carbonite not to touch OO files - whether these were OO's application files, or its files being edited I do not know.
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

The first half hour in safe mode revealed nothing... no crash
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JuergThuering wrote:The first half hour in safe mode revealed nothing... no crash
It revealed that the problem is probably a software conflict and not a hardware problem. Now you can systematically re-enable the items that start during normal Windows startup and restart Windows until you isolate the one that is causing the problem. After you have found which item is conflicting you can use Google to find out if it is a common problem that has a solution.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

It has always been clear that it is not a hardware problem.
The system is sound. Other, more resource hungry applications would have problems as well, if it was a hardware problem.

That half hour running in safe mode means nothing.
It might as well work for hours in normal mode, before crashing again.
I would have to use safe mode whenever I use Openoffice for a week or two, to know if it really doesn't crash.

Besides, you must be kidding, it got to be dozens if not hundreds of services that are not running in safe mode, but will run in normal mode. For each one of them I would need to try again for days to weeks if the problem appears or not, with this particular service enabled. You would hear back from me in a couple years, I guess. And Open Office / the computer isn't really usable in Safe Mode, so that's not a feasible solution.
Enabling services one by one without having an unstable system will be an other challenge.

That doesn't sound like a feasible way!

People here don't seem to understand that the problem is not predictable in terms of "how often it happens". It doesn't necessarily happen immediately or within short time and there is no pattern enabling a prediction. So there is no such thing like "enable a service and see if the problem appears" in this case.
This is what causes me grey hair... If it was that simple, I would have found the problem for long.

I hoped for OO internal logging options to get a clue where the problem sits, but as nobody points that way, there seem to be none?
I mean: I edit a spreadsheet and it is stable. I switch (using alt-tab) to an other window and open office crashes. How could an other application interfere at this point?
Last edited by JuergThuering on Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Consider installing LibreOffice and see if the problem goes away when using LO.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

robleyd wrote:Consider installing LibreOffice and see if the problem goes away when using LO.
I am a bit reluctant to install yet an other software, in the light of "how the windows registry works". Do LO and OO share code?
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

What I might try:
- Make sure no other app is running (I usually have a number of Firefox pages open)
- Uninstall PDF Creator and see if that changes anything (PDF creator = printer = linked to open office in a way)
- Stop Malwarebytes and see if this changes anything
- Stop Antivirus and see if this changes anything

But beyond of that?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

JuergThuering wrote:Besides, you must be kidding, it got to be dozens if not hundreds of services that are not running in safe mode, but will run in normal mode.
You don't disable "services", you disable "startup items" on the "Startup" tab in the Task Manager. I haven't used Windows 10 for a while, but I'd be surprised if there more than about a dozen startup items.
JuergThuering wrote:For each one of them I would need to try again for days to weeks if the problem appears or not, with this particular service enabled.
"Startup items", not "services". Disable half of the startup items and restart Windows in normal mode. If AOO crashes, then you know the conflict is with one of the enabled startup items. If you don't want to go through the troubleshooting process, then you can still try a Google search to see if you can find any reported conflicts between AOO and the startup items listed in your Task Manager.

How to Add, Delete, Enable, or Disable Startup Items in Windows 10
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
HeavyUser

Post by HeavyUser »

Just FYI I am #two among the millions and millions of users that has been experiencing crashes for several months now. Same story, 4.1.7 on Windows 10 with 24GB RAM. I am using only Writer and Calc. Not much else for programs running on the laptop, just Acrobat and web browsers running along with OpenOffice.
I m a heavy user working on multiple documents and spreadsheets open concurrently while running multiple browsers with multiple browser windows and tabs open. It crashes several times a day or even in an hour. Sometimes it just locks up. The crashes are not particularly reproducible but they will occur as sure as the sun rises. Crashes are a few different scenarios. One scenario that seems prevalent is using copy and paste in a spread sheet, usually copying from some other document or spreadsheet, paste often throws the Bad allocation error and then crashes. Seems to crash while using Calc more often than Writer but of course when one crashes it takes the other one with it. The crashes are not immediate at OpenOffice startup with the exception of scenarios where it's trying to recover files from the previous crash and sometime crashes or locks up doing that. Rather the crashes simply occur randomly while editing work. Sometimes Calc will exhibit weirdness with data/data entry/formulas just before it crashes. They crash while I am doing something in the programs as opposed to when they are sitting there in background while I'm using another program. :crazy:

Writer is pretty good at not losing work when it crashes but not so with Calc. However sometimes when it crashes it just goes down without going through the saving files routine. I've not paid attention to see whether it's Writer or Calc or both that crashes without going through the auto save routine. Seems Calc loses everything since the last save when it crashes no matter what.

No, I have not tried any remedial action yet. Not sure that would be of any help as I need to run my browsers and Acrobat while Writer and Calc. If there is any error logging to look at that may yield some clues or give some developers something to fix I'm all for looking at it.
openoffice 4.1.7 on WIN 10
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

That's, imo, one hell of a load for a laptop. While your ram amount seems good, there are other things to consider in regards to the system's ability to handle a load like that.
For example, what processor are you running, Is it a multi-core processor? What is the speed? Hard drive fragmentation can also have an effect, in addition to the items already specified earlier in this topic, which, you have admitted, you haven't even tried.
Why do you need to run so much at the same time on a laptop? Based on the information you've given about your system and your usage, you might find LibreOffice a better fit as it is available in 64 bit versions, rather than just the 32 bit version of OpenOffice. Higher end/multi-core processors work better with 64 bit programs than then do with 32 bit.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
HeavyUser

Post by HeavyUser »

I have not used a chassis computer since 1995. Everything gets done with the laptop. I'm not doing any CAD or weather forecasting or games, nothing outside of a basic laptop's capabilities as long as it can multi-task. If i only needed to work on one file at a time I'd still be using DOS.

CPU is CORE I3 2.3GHz so yes multi-core and the HD has 795GB free out of 1TB.

Sounds like LibreOffice is something to check out. Can that be installed concurrently with OpenOffice to check it out?
openoffice 4.1.7 on WIN 10