OpenOffice keeps crashing on Windows 10

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice keeps crashing

Post by Zizi64 »

Sounds like LibreOffice is something to check out.
- Yes, the LO has an improved compatibility with the ugpgraded, improved operating systems.
Can that be installed concurrently with OpenOffice to check it out?
- And yes, you can install the AOO and the LO onto your computer together. Note: the documents files will be associated to that Office Suite what was instaled lastly. (But It is depends either on your choices during a CUSTOM installation)
And you can try it first with a Portable version of the LO. My experience: A portable version of the LO will launch when a permanently installed AOO runs, but the portable AOO will not launch when a permanetly installed LO runs. The portable versions will not modify the file type associations when you "install" (unzip) them.

Portable versions:

The PortableApps versions:
The Still LO and the Fresh LO available in one bit-wide version only:
https://portableapps.com/apps/office/li ... e_portable
AOO:
https://portableapps.com/apps/office/op ... e_portable

The winPenPack versions:
You can donwnload the LO in 32 and 64 bit version too:
http://www.winpenpack.com/en/download.php?list.37
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
HeavyUser

Post by HeavyUser »

LibreOffice running for three days now and not a single crash or problem :D
openoffice 4.1.7 on WIN 10
Malc

Post by Malc »

I've been using OpenOffice for years and I've had the same problem for the last couple of months. I've tried everything which has been suggested on several threads. However, I cannot tolerate the crashes any longer so I've switched to LibreOffice. I'm now using the same spreadsheet files which have my custom Macros saved with them and everything is working perfectly without any crashes. Because LibreOffice has the same file extensions as OpenOffice, I've added Libre to all the filesnames so that I can differentiate between the two pieces of software whilst I continue with LibreOffice putting it through its "trials".
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
HeavyUser

Post by HeavyUser »

I should add that I had not used any OO before 4.1.7 and started using OO last fall on the same laptop, the crashes started almost immediately.
openoffice 4.1.7 on WIN 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The usual first step to isolate the cause for crashes is to start Windows in Safe Mode. If OpenOffice runs stable in that mode, the problem is caused by a driver or program that runs in Windows normal mode, and detective work is needed to find which program/driver.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to reset your profile?
Any security application that could interfere with AOO?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Jan8

Post by Jan8 »

#3 out of millions here. The laptop is only 6 weeks old, I don't have many programs installed (openoffice, zoom, google chrome and antivirus). Crashes most days, can have just inserted a table on a document, or be 3 pages in. Constantly hitting save, so as not to lose too much.
Windows 10, openoffice 4.1.7 and I'm not overly technical! Already queried on the facebook page, where they have said they've been experiencing crashes, advised to ask here. Please be kind.
Openoffice 4.1.7
Windows 10
Brand new laptop
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The problem is almost certainly (99.99%) on your PC as it does not affect others, including me.

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.

If that does not fix it then do a test:

1. Start the PC is Safe Mode - Google for how.

Does AOO now crash? If not it is because of one of the programs which start when the PC starts.
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

It may be a problem with Windows Defender or any other security application.
Several people ended up switching to LibreOffice.
If the profile reset does not help, don't lose your time and try LibreOffice.

I'm sure there is something but it might not be worth the trouble investigating (quite disheartened to say that nonetheless).
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Hagar Delest wrote:don't lose your time and try LibreOffice.
I switched to LO this year and it's (well known reputation for) flakiness still surprises me. LO 6.3.6.2, the supposedly stable, well tested version crashed doing a simple Find in Calc ... Bug 133727 - Calc crashes when Edit > Find used in simple file - reproduceable. It worked OK on 6.4.4.2.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
mok.monster

Post by mok.monster »

I am one of the 'not millions' of AOO users getting increasing crashing happening and losing lots of valuable work, hours of it because AOO crashes sometimes every few minutes - I am so frustrated with it. Like other forum queriers here it is only AOO with this problem.
I am wondering if it has anything to do with 'touchpad' software files such as HidMonitorSvc Application, or ApMsgFwd.exe
Open Office version 4.1.6 using Windows 10
mok.monster

Post by mok.monster »

Ok, i think i have found the problem. i pasted a table from another programme into AOO then modified it slightly. I have now taken the table out of AOO and I am not getting any crashing, at least for a wee while.
Open Office version 4.1.6 using Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The table may have carried over some glitches, redoing it in AOO may greatly help.
cwid77

Post by cwid77 »

I, too, am suddenly having TONS of issues with crashing -- Draw, Writer, Calc. It will crash usually every 15-20 mins or so. I don't really have any huge programs open, usually an internet browser, a pdf reader, and the OO with Draw and Calc. That's about it. Nothing else crashes. Just OO.

Windows 10 PC.

It actually seems like it started very suddenly in the last few months. That is why I think it could be a W10 update or something. I've reset my OO profile, no help. I uninstalled and reinstalled, no help.
I'm not super techy, so to try to chase the problem is really inconvenient for me. I think its fair to say that there is an obvious issue here. It doesn't help to point fingers, but I would really hope that developers or the community (people much smarter than me) could figure this out and soon.

Thanks
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may help to ensure your Win 10 updates are fully updated; also to run chkdsk to ensure there is no corruption on your hard disk.
cwid77

Post by cwid77 »

Yes, I've run the checks for any corruption and its all good.

I ended up downloading and installing LibreOffice. It opens all of my OO files no problem. I worked all morning without a single crash. So............ Goodbye OO!!! Hello Libreoffice.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 10
robstitt

Post by robstitt »

I've noticed the same thing with Open Office (I mostly use the spreadsheet portion) 4.1.7 on Window 10 (64 bit).

Starting in the past few weeks, it has been crashing very frequently. To the point that I have to do a "save" after just about every single change I make--because it crashes every few minutes.

Not sure what is going on--as came here looking to see if there were other known issues as my first foray into this issue (there's little point in spending hours digging into debugging an issue if it's a known issue with a fix).

At this point, there's enough recent chatter about OO crashing on recent versions of Windows to lead me to think that there is a fairly widespread problem--but, alas, I'm not seeing any resolutions. I am chiming in at this point, not looking for basic admonitions about debugging, but to just add a "+1" to the "Yes, there IS a problem" (something that seems particularly important given the initial discussion in this thread where it was pointed out that "millions are using it and there isn't a ruckus about it, so it can't be a real problem").
OpenOffice 4.1 On Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Try the recent Still version of the LibreOffice. If it crashes too, then the problem is related to your hardware or op.sys./driver settings of to a specific document or to a foreign document type.

Hva you tried to reset/rename/delete the user profile of the AOO?
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
KZJ

Post by KZJ »

What number am I in the millions? Maybe #4?
OO crashes every few minutes, so EVERY TIME I enter new data into a document, I save my file, hoping it will save before it crashes. When it crashes, I lose everything, hence, if I write a sentence...save. Enter a number in a spreadsheet....save.

Sometimes all I have to do is hit the save button and it crashes! So I hit Ctrl S so I don't have to click the save icon.

RIDICULOUS!
I'm going to switch to LibreOffice and see if I can get some work done. I lose a lot of time with OO crashing, then I have to click on my file and wait for the recovery practice, then enter data, save, :crazy: enter data save... :crazy: ONE CELL! That's all it takes before it crashes. I entered a dollar amount in a budget... POOF! Crash. :crazy:
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10, using a Dell Inspiron laptop.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

OO is a dead project, poorly maintained since too many years. Some day it will not be compatible with Windows anymore. Since 2011 LibreOffice is the successor to OpenOffice with a new release every 6 months. Every new release of LibreOffice includes more changes than OpenOffice in the past 9 years.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The problem seems to be with OO 4.1.7 and Windows 10. I moved back to version 4.1.6 and haven't experienced any crashes.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

https://bz.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?l ... tone=4.1.7
Between 4.1.6 and 4.1.7 they fixed 2 issues (one for OS/2), changed the splash screen and added one feature.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
JuergThuering

Post by JuergThuering »

I uninstalled Openoffice and installed Libreoffice, problem gone.
Uninstalling / reinstalling Openoffice didn't change anything.

And I am still persuaded it is NOT a problem of my computer (or many would have a problem, there is nothing "non-standard" and the installation is clean.
Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10 pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

JuergThuering wrote:And I am still persuaded it is NOT a problem of my computer (or many would have a problem, there is nothing "non-standard" and the installation is clean.
Of course your PC is "non-standard" - it is unique because you run different software to me and to everyone else. I have 20 programs which run when the PC starts and you have different programs. My PC currently has 190 running processes, 2,173 threads and 197,317 handles even though the only foreground applications I have running are Firefox, Thunderbird and TaskManager. Is yours identical?

Remember your AOO and my AOO are absolutely identical so if it is, as you insist, AOO software causing the problem, why do you get it and I do not? It must be something external to AOO.

There have been 300,000,000 downloads of AOO very few of whom - I'll be generous and say 0.0000001% - report this problem.

Their PCs are unique in the programs they run, the utilities they use (clipboard managers are known to cause issues) and the way they use their PCs. And we haven't even considered things like a faulty bit in memory or on your disk where AOO files reside. Or the fact it may be a corrupted AOO file on your PC. Or a virus or piece of malware - see Re: PDF in OpenOffice, font problem where a PUP malware interfered with AOO.

It is why you are asked to do a test in Safe Mode because none of those 20 programs of mine are started and we both then have much more similar, but still not identical, systems (eg device drivers are still different). It is why you are asked if it is always the same file causing the problem. Why you are asked to reset your profile. Why you are asked to run sfc and chkdsk. Why you are asked to uninstall AOO and re-install after downloading it from this web site. Why you are asked if your OS is fully up to date - a recent faulty W10 update crashed Calc until Microsoft corrected and re-issued it. Other recent faulty W10 updates caused the AOO printer to fail as the update installed incorrect printer drivers. And don't get me started on Windows Defender which, depending on your installation and preferences and other AV software, may or may not cripple AOO and LO. All these are trying to identify and correct differences between your PC and mine.

Let me give you an analogy. You read about a car where 99.9999999% of owners find the car always starts and runs happily but 0.0000001% say the car starts and always immediately stalls.

Who would you believe?
  • one of the 0.0000001% who said the car design is obviously faulty because the car stalls for them?
  • someone who said there was almost certainly something different about the 0.0000001% of owners' cars which stall: they weren't being serviced properly, they had faulty components which the other cars did not have, their battery was flat, their petrol was sub-standard, the cars were being used out of their specification, they weren't being driven properly, etc?
That being said moving to LO, as I did this year, is extremely sensible as AOO is walking dead.

As an aside there probably is a bug in AOO which allows clipboards to interfere with AOO. But, in order to activate this bug, you need to have an application which causes that interference and, as I don't use that application, I never see the bug. As we are users like you, and not developers, we cannot delve into the code and we can only provide guidance based on our experience to get you back working. That guidance is what you see here: isolate what is different on your PC so as to stop the interaction.

Fioravante Patrone

Post by Fioravante Patrone »

John_Ha wrote: ...
That being said moving to LO, as I did this year, is extremely sensible as AOO is walking dead.
I found one line useful.

I starded experiencing these sudden crashes, and it is quite frustrating, for the reasons already described by others before me. The main bad point is that the crashes seem to happen in a completely unpredictable way.

I came here hoping to get some help, but apparently the only useful help is contained in the line I quoted.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 + Windows 10
Steve_R

Post by Steve_R »

I too am having issues with OO 4.17.

I've only used writer so can't comment on calc.

Crashing when opening happens regularly then I get a message about recovering the file. If I cancel, I've not changed the file so nothing to recover as the original is still there, it just closes OO. If i recover it opens the file, displays it for a couple of seconds then bombs out of OO.

Sometimes it will stay open, other times just a crash loop.

I've also found scrolling can be an issue within a document. I can scroll my mouse wheel down, down, down and the document moves a little then pings to the top again. I can scroll for as long as I like and never get off the top of the first page. Again this doesn't happen all the time but enough to make OO unusable.

I have 17GB of RAM free and a <5% CPU load (I9 8950k CPU) so I have plenty of headroom available system wise.
Open Office 4.16
Windows 10 Pro
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start your Windows in Safe Mode and see if OpenOffice runs stable in that Windows mode.
Mithel

Post by Mithel »

LibreOffice had been unstable for me so I switched back to OpenOffice 4.1.9. Unfortunately with the latest Windows 10 update, OpenOffice is even more unstable than LibreOffice.

Far, far too many crashes. I'm very much leaning toward some sort of a issue with Windows 10.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 - Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Have you tried starting Windows in Safe Mode and seeing if either application will run stable in that Windows mode? If one or other does, report back for more assistance.
cb4m

Post by cb4m »

Hello All,

I find it disappointing that there are some who appear to be in denial that there is an, admittedly uncommon, problem running OO on W10 (mine is x64, 20H2, 8GB). For several months I have also been experiencing the 'random' crashes of (mainly) Calc, after some minutes of editing, sometimes with a Bad Allocation message, and not saving documents for recovery. For me it seems likely that it probably started after a W10 update around February/March 2021, but I can't be 100% sure. I think I have tested all the ideas I have found on various forums, without permanent success. It is possible that uninstalling updates in March helped temporarily, but it all got lost in the endless stream of updates. I just want to find a solution and being told it is "just my PC" is not helpful. I agree it might not be OO's 'fault' as such, but that doesn't help much either, as it is the only program crashing and I very much doubt MS, or anyone else is particularly interested. One thing I am finding particularly strange is that I can't see anything relating to these OO soffice crashes in Event Viewer (only, ironically, a LO crash/freeze).

Unfortunately, I find the common suggestion of switching to LO 7.0 as a solution less than 100% satisfactory. I avoids the crashing problem and provides better support for xlsx and docx, but I find the UI and display less satisfactory and am also finding, if anything, more bugs/issues/annoyances than with OO 4.1.X.

Thanks everyone and kind regards,
Chris
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows W10/64