[Solved] Changing all MS file extensions to open in OOo

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

[Solved] Changing all MS file extensions to open in OOo

Postby Cacique » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 pm

I had a successful installation of OO and all my Excel files and Word files were being handled by Open Office by default.

Then I installed and uninstalled MS office and it messed up all my file extensions. Now, my XLS files have no associated program and my DOC files are now associated with Wordpad.

Is there a quick and easy way to tell the computer to use Open Office as the default program for all MS Office files?

Thanks in advance,
C
Last edited by Cacique on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cacique

Re: Changing all MS file extensions to open in OO

Postby Hagar Delest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:41 pm

In the Add/Remove control panel, try to run the setup again to repair the OOo installation Edit: see post below. It should ask you again the file association question.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' in your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby JohnV » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:04 pm

Do as Hagar says but select the Modify option instead of Repair. It's much, much quicker.
JohnV
Volunteer

Postby Cacique » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Thanks for the replies. Well, I was foiled on both attempts.

First I tried it using the "modify" method and although it prompted me to associate my Powerpoint, Word, and Excel files with Open Office, it didn't work. After running the modification, my .doc files were still associated with Wordpad, and the computer still doesn't know what program to use to with .pps and .xls files. I tried it again because I was surprised but again it didn't work.

Then I tried using the "repair" option and I got stopped when it prompted me for the location of "openofficeorg23.msi". This file is nowhere that I can find on my hard drive. The installation program that I initially downloaded is called "OOo_2.3.1_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en-US.exe". I ran a "find" for openofficeorg23.msi but it couldn't find it.
Cacique

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:16 pm

In the Explorer, right click on a .ppt file, choose Open with, browse your HD to select OOo. Same for the other extensions.
AOO 4.1.6 on Xubuntu 19.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 7 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby Cacique » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:56 pm

That worked. Thanks!
Cacique

Postby foxcole » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:36 pm

Glad to hear your problem has been solved... although it appears we've been just assuming you're running a Windows OS. Good thing it was a lucky guess. ;)

Cacique wrote: I ran a "find" for openofficeorg23.msi but it couldn't find it.

If you're not running WinXP, what I'm about to note might not be exactly the same... but if you open Windows Explorer or any folder on your computer and choose Tools> Folder Options> View tab, do you have "Show hidden files and folders" selected? If not, the search can't see hidden files. But if that is selected, then in the search tool advanced options, did you make sure to search in hidden files and in subfolders? Might help for future search attempts.
Cheers!
---Fox

OOo 3.2.0 Portable, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
foxcole
Volunteer

Return to MS Windows