Document 'does not exist' message

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
bazza2105

Document 'does not exist' message

Post by bazza2105 »

I cannot open a lengthy spreadsheet that I've created, which involved several hours work. I've gone into 'recent documents' on the open office calc file tab and get the following message:

C;\Users\barryh\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wakyb3d8bbwe\TempState\Downloads\FeteActionPlan,stalls&helpersdetails2020fete.ods does not exist

So, it looks like it is sitting in my file structure in a temporary/partially downloaded state. When I browse my files I can see a notepad document, which appears when I try to follow the thread through. I've not created this document so I expect the answer lies here somewhere?
I think I've seen on the forum that someone else has had this happen. I've tried various ways of opening and/or restoring this but no luck.

Many thanks.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Document 'does not exist' message

Post by Zizi64 »

C;\Users\barryh\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wakyb3d8bbwe\TempState\Downloads\FeteActionPlan,stalls&helpersdetails2020fete.ods does not exist
That is not a real URL. A real URL not contain ; , characters.

Try to copy the file into an another directory, which has a simpler and shorter path. Try to open that copy of the file.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I guess that you've used your webmail in Edge (or any other online software), then opened the file from the webmail directly. Consequently, it was saved in a temporary folder that has been wiped out once Edge was closed.
Your file may be gone.
To prevent that, you need to save your file in your documents first and then edit it.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In addition to Hagar's remarks, try as soon as possible to run an undelete program, such as Recuva or PhotoRec. No guarantee that you will find anything useful, but it is worth trying.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Something has recently changed with web applications as this is the third or fourth query like this in the past few days. I am sure it isn't anything to do with AOO.

I wonder if it is people upgrading to W10 when W7 went out of support? As expected Microsnot grabs everything it can: PDFs open in Edge, MS grabs .odt etc for Office, it set Edge as the default browser, gave all image files to Photos - the usual megalomania one expects.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It seems from robleyed's post Re: [Solved] Can't open .docx files sent via email that the problem is faulty web page coding.

If a file name on a website has a space (or non alpha-numeric character) in it then the web standards require that file name should be enclosed in quotes as "London Bridge.abc". Such a file works properly. The AOO web site includes quotes so all works OK.

However many web sites have incompetent programmers who ignore standards and do not enclose such file names in quotes. This is an error by the web site author. Such a file downloads OK but does not Open with ..., OK as only the characters up to the first space (or non alpha-numeric character) are recognised, so the file is thought to be called London and, of course, cannot be found.

The problem is not Firefox - it is incompetent web programmers who cannot or will not follow the agreed standards. What has probably happened is that the web page coding has recently been changed. Firefox has known of this problem for some years but does not want to make changes as it breaks the web rules and affects other things in Firefox, especially in other languages.

See Filenames with spaces are truncated upon download for a full explanation and for two extensions which can fix it - Content-Type Fixer and FixDisposition.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.