[Solved] Writer crashes

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
CountryWriter

[Solved] Writer crashes

Post by CountryWriter »

I know that posts similar to this have been addressed in this forum, but the only ones I have seen talk about image issues. My .odt documents do not contain any images. What happens is that Writer crashes several times an hour, usually when I press [Ctrl]+[s] to save. It happens at what appears to be random times, not every time I save. The result of the crash is that Writer restarts itself and begins an automatic document recovery, which I could live with, except that it does recover my document from My last save, but rather from the last time I exited Writer.
Autosave is set to 10 minutes
My documents range from a single page to over 400 pages with the same occurrences.
My signature info is correct (I just checked it).
Windows updates are current.
I have rebooted my computer numerous times.
I have looked through FAQs and all the Writer-related posts I can find - nothing that directly addresses my issue.

Please help. I like OOo and want to keep using it, but I am losing time and work. You will not hurt my feelings if you tell me I am doing something really stupid.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OOo 4.1.7
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Intel core i7-5500U x86 processor
Author, photographer, mid-level user
RoryOF

Re: Writer crashes

Post by RoryOF »

Try, as a diagnostic, starting Windows in Safe Mode and running OpenOffice while Windows is in that mode. Does it now run stable??
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Strange problems are sometimes fixed by resetting the profile - see Resetting the user profile.

Also see the Tutorial on Windows Defender problems on Windows 10.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
CountryWriter

Post by CountryWriter »

Thanks for the rapid response. I'll check the items you have suggested:
Safemode
Reset Profile
Windows Defender
I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.
OOo 4.1.7
CountryWriter

Post by CountryWriter »

You guys are the best. I tried the other things and they did not work. However, when I reset my profile, it has not crashed once since. I have no idea why it happened, nor why it stopped, but thanks again.
I guess this solved the issue.
OOo 4.1.7