[Solved] JRE required to use Base

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
mountaindrifter

[Solved] JRE required to use Base

Post by mountaindrifter »

I've searched the forum for info that can point me in the right direction but the most recent post on the topic is from back in 2016. Any help would be great. I'm using up to date windows 10 on desktop hardware that is just months old and beefy enough to handle 4k video editing.
Last edited by mountaindrifter on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10 x64
robleyd

Re: JRE required to use base

Post by robleyd »

If your problem is related to installing Java, have you looked at Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java?

Otherwise, can you explain what your problem is?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Do you have a specific question? OpenOffice 3.1 has been obsolete for years. If I recall correctly, it will not recognize any JRE newer than JRE 6.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
mountaindrifter

I just installed the latest version of open office using the custom option. I only changed the default install by making sure that base and calc both installed with all the "extras". Perhaps I'm just confused. I thought java was more of a web browser kind of thing. I checked the ms store for java in the case that it's a windows add on that many programs need and didn't find anything that looked right.
mountaindrifter

Bill wrote:Do you have a specific question? OpenOffice 3.1 has been obsolete for years. If I recall correctly, it will not recognize any JRE newer than JRE 6.

I just haven't updated my profile. I'm using that latest version of OO as of today.
mountaindrifter

robleyd wrote:If your problem is related to installing Java, have you looked at Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java?

Otherwise, can you explain what your problem is?

Just not sure how to get base to function for me. The link to the post above is from back in 2014 and seems to indicate that OO is a 32 bit program that will not function if the 64 bit version of java is used. Is this still the case?
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Yes, OpenOffice needs a 32 bit version of Java. A 64 bit version can be present, it will not hurt anything. After you install Java, in OpenOffice go to the menu Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice list and click Java. Select the Use a Java Runtime Environment box, wait for the list below to populate and click the round button next to the Java version you installed.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mountaindrifter

FJCC wrote:Yes, OpenOffice needs a 32 bit version of Java. A 64 bit version can be present, it will not hurt anything. After you install Java, in OpenOffice go to the menu Tools -> Options, expand the OpenOffice list and click Java. Select the Use a Java Runtime Environment box, wait for the list below to populate and click the round button next to the Java version you installed.

Thank you FJCC! I'm up and running!
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] JRE required to use Base

Post by Zizi64 »

Or you can install and use the LibreOffice. The LO has 64 bit version.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.