[Solved] Can't find or stop Quick starter

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
braxx20

[Solved] Can't find or stop Quick starter

Post by braxx20 »

Edit: Split from [Solved] Download 4.1.7.
• You do not have the same problem since your symptoms are different
• You were posting in a solved topic
• It was not your topic, you need your own
I created one for you. -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Have SAME problem, but no "soffice bin" or ANY other Open Office services or processes running.
Somehow need to force stop this, so I can do a clean install.
PLEASE HELP!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OO 4.1.10 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: [Solved] Download 4.1.7

Post by FJCC »

Can you reboot the computer and try the installation?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Download 4.1.7

Post by Villeroy »

FJCC wrote:Can you reboot the computer and try the installation?
This may run the nasty "quick-starter" of the previous installation. Then you have another soffice process preventing the installation process.

If you see the blue icon with white seagulls near the Windows clock, this is the quick-starter. It preloads the office suite without visible application window on every system start. Right-click this icon and quit this thing. Just to be sure, you may use the task manager as described above. If there is no soffice, no OpenOffice is running. Your installation package downloaded from openoffice.org (via sourceforge.net) should install just fine.

For an absolutely clean install discarding templates, macros, spell check dictionaries and other customizations of any previous installation:
1) Close all office windows plus any "quick-starter". The task manager confirms that no soffice is running.
2) Get the "Windows Appls and Features" panel and uninstall OpenOffice.
3) Open the WIndows Explorer (file manager) and enter %APPDATA%\OpenOffice\4\ into the address bar. There you find a folder named "user". It contains templates, macros, spell check dictionaries and other customizations from your previous installation.
4) Rename that folder to user.backup or any other name.
5) Start the installation of the new version downloaded from openoffice.org (via sourceforge.net). The new installation will assume a first time installation because of the missing folder. It will create a new user folder.

Install the latest versions of any extenstions you don't want to be missing. Do not install very old packages you may find on your disk.
If you are missiing other things from your old installation, they certainly reside in the renamed user folder and may be transferable to the new one.
 Edit: Disclaimer: Since many years I do not run OpenOffice on WIndows. The above steps are reconstructed from memory.
And of course, you can leave behind that trouble by replacing OpenOffice with LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/ 
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
braxx20

Re: Can't find or stop Quick starter

Post by braxx20 »

Thanks for your help. In the meantime, I had wasted a bunch of time on MS help sites to try to find out why my Administrator status was not sufficient but I gave up.
SO, I downloaded REVO Uninstaller which I have used in the past. The beauty of that program is that after the uninstall it searches for all kinds of leftover files and pieces that you can then delete. Whereas the OO uninstaller did not work, this one did and I downloaded OO again and it works!
OO 4.1.10 Windows 10