Document locked for editing by unknown user

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

Document locked for editing by unknown user

Postby Stig H » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Downloaded latest version of OpenOffice and suddenly I can no longer edit my old documents. "Document locked for editing by unknown user"......What to do?
OpenOffice 2,4 on Windows 10
Stig H

Re: Locked out

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

See if that helps: [Solved] Document file is locked for editing by Unknown user.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LO 6.4.6 on Xubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Re: Document locked for editing by unknown user

Postby David12846 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:17 am

On Nov 14th, I also had this problem immediately after updating from version 4.1.7 to version 4.1.8 . When opening any of my odt files (in any folder) there was a pop-up that said, "Document locked for editing by unknown user". This pop-up also appeared when I tried to open any ods file (in any folder).

Back when the error happened, I looked through the forum and found other people had the same problem. I looked for "locked" files as suggested in other posts but I did not find any (I have show hidden files turned on too). I ended up doing a System Restore which solved my problem... but it also put me back to version 4.1.7 . Now I'm "petrified" to update OpenOffice.

Is there a problem with version 4.1.8, or is this "locked for editing by unknown user" just a problem for some of us?

David

I don't know if my profile is up to date, but I'm using a Windows 7 Home Premium PC.
OOo 4.1.7 on Ms Windows 7
David12846

Postby Hagar Delest » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 pm

There seems to be an issue with the ransomware feature of the different anti-virus applications out there.
Go to the security settings of your OS (Windows Defender, Avast...) and deactivate that feature and add the new soffice.exe if there is any white list.
LO 6.4.6 on Xubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10.
Hagar Delest

Postby Stig H » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:03 pm

David12846 wrote:On Nov 14th, I also had this problem immediately after updating from version 4.1.7 to version 4.1.8 . When opening any of my odt files (in any folder) there was a pop-up that said, "Document locked for editing by unknown user". This pop-up also appeared when I tried to open any ods file (in any folder).

Back when the error happened, I looked through the forum and found other people had the same problem. I looked for "locked" files as suggested in other posts but I did not find any (I have show hidden files turned on too). I ended up doing a System Restore which solved my problem... but it also put me back to version 4.1.7 . Now I'm "petrified" to update OpenOffice.

Is there a problem with version 4.1.8, or is this "locked for editing by unknown user" just a problem for some of us?

David

I don't know if my profile is up to date, but I'm using a Windows 7 Home Premium PC.

Hejsan David, hur gjorde du återställningen ? Bara Open Office eller rubbet? //mvh Stig H.
OpenOffice 2,4 on Windows 10
Stig H

Postby David12846 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 am

Hi Stig H,

In the Windows operating system, there is an option to do a "System Restore". Just before a program is updated, Windows will usually (but not always) create a "system restore point" (For me, OpenOffice forced Windows to create a new "system restore point"). System Restore does not remove or alter documents. When I used "System Restore', it put OpenOffice back to the previous version.

Sometimes System Restore works perfectly, but sometimes it does not. System Restore is generally not used to undo changes you make inside a program, such as changing the font size or the program start-up location.

IF you make changes to other programs AFTER a "system restore point" is created and those programs do not create a new "system restore point", System Restore will restore your PC back to before you changed those other programs.
OOo 4.1.7 on Ms Windows 7
David12846

Return to MS Windows