Why are my photos opening in OpenOffice?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

Why are my photos opening in OpenOffice?

Postby hobbocks » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:54 pm

I am a newbie on this forum, I am also something of a technoprat. I run windows 7 Home premium (64 bit). For a few weeks now whenever I click on a photograph it opens in OpenOffice and I don't know why! I usually open photos with Kodak EasyShare or PhotoScape, so why are all of my photos defaulting to OpenOffice? I would be extremely grateful if anyone can tell me how to solve this problem because this is really irksome.

Thank you in advance for any help that anyone can give me.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Re: Why are my photos opening in OpenOffice?

Postby RoryOF » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Your File Associations have been changed, To fix this, Right click on a photo and from the popup select "Always Open With" and the program you wish to open the photo.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby hobbocks » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi RoryOF, I did try to reply earlier but something went wrong, I did say I was a technoprat. I have tried doing as you advised but the pop-up menu doesn't contain 'always open with', it does contain 'open with' which has solved the problem. However when I click on the icon for Kodak easyshare , it says no preview (whereas before it showed the actual photo but a few seconds later the photo opens on the desktop. So instead of just clicking on each icon to see the previews I actually have to close the 'desktop photo' and then go back to the icons! Am I misunderstanding the way this is meant to work? Thanks for your help.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Postby Hagar Delest » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:09 pm

With the right click, you should have access to the Properties dialog for that kind of file. Then you can change the default application to open it.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby John_Ha » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:59 pm

Go W10 Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type ..., and set appropriately.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Bill » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:42 pm

Check the options in Kodak EasyShare. There may be one that will reset the file associations for you. If not, then reinstalling Kodak Easy Share might do it.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Postby hobbocks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 pm

Hagar Delest wrote:With the right click, you should have access to the Properties dialog for that kind of file. Then you can change the default application to open it.

I owe you an apology because I just don't understand this! but thank you for trying to help me.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Postby hobbocks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:19 pm

Bill wrote:Check the options in Kodak EasyShare. There may be one that will reset the file associations for you. If not, then reinstalling Kodak Easy Share might do it.

No luck I'm afraid but I may try reinstalling Kodak easyshare.

Thanks for your help.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Postby hobbocks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 pm

John_Ha wrote:Go W10 Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type ..., and set appropriately.

Again I apologise because I just don't understand your instructions but thanks for trying.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Postby RoryOF » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:26 pm

hobbocks wrote:
John_Ha wrote:Go W10 Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type ..., and set appropriately.

Again I apologise because I just don't understand your instructions but thanks for trying.

That's all very well thanking him for trying - BUT, are you trying? Have you tried the operations John_Ha outlined? Knowing John_Ha, they will be exact.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Go W10 Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Choose default apps by file type ..., and set appropriately.

1. click the Windows button bottom left
2. click Settings - the gear wheel on the left
3. click Apps
4. click Default Apps
5. click Choose default apps by file type
6. choose which app you want to use to open JPG files - presumably Kodak EasyShare.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby hobbocks » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 pm

RoryOF wrote:
hobbocks wrote:

That's all very well thanking him for trying - BUT, are you trying? Have you tried the operations John_Ha outlined? Knowing John_Ha, they will be exact.

Wow! I made it clear I didn't understand the instructions so obviously I didn't try it. John_Ha's instructions were understandable the second time and I will try those. I will now close my account
because I don't really care for your attitude. To those that did try to help me, thanks.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Postby Hagar Delest » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:59 pm

If you haven't heard about the right click, then ask a friend to show you on your machine.
This is very basic and if you don't want to do some homework, any advice here will be in vain.
Hagar Delest

Postby hobbocks » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:39 am

Of course I understand 'right-click' and that wasn't the problem. I thank you for your help. However I would point out that what is obvious to one person might not be obvious to others. Now I will search for a helpful forum where the self-deprecating term 'technoprat' buys a little more understanding. It is a wonderful thing to be an expert at something; even more wonderful if experts have the patience to pass on their knowledge.
OpenOffice.org 3.2
hobbocks

Postby Hagar Delest » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:17 pm

hobbocks wrote:Of course I understand 'right-click' and that wasn't the problem.

Then what have you seen with the right click? Got that Properties entry at the bottom IIRC?
You've been even provided step by step procedure by another user. What do you expect exactly?
Hagar Delest

Return to MS Windows