Use Windows "Snip & sketch tool" with Writer

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
gill6579

Use Windows "Snip & sketch tool" with Writer

Post by gill6579 »

I've been using the snipping tool for ages and it's great but now it's being replaced with snip & sketch and I can't paste snips into Writer with the new tool. Does anyone know how to make the new snip & sketch tool work with Open Office Writer please?
Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginners forum to MS Windows, since this is presumably in reference to the Snip & Sktech tool in the Microsoft Store; Edited title; was: Snip & sketch tool
Open Office version 4.1.5. Operating system Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Snip & sketch tool

Post by FJCC »

Wow, that is annoying. I could not copy from Snip & Sketch and paste into Writer. If there is a way to do it, I cannot find it, though I didn't spend a lot of time looking. I had to save the image as a file and import that using the menu Insert-> Picture -> From File. I suspect this is an "enhancement" to push us towards using only MS products. My system still has the old Snipping tool available but I expect that will be removed in some future update.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Snip & sketch tool

Post by Zizi64 »

I've been using the snipping tool for ages and it's great but now it's being replaced with snip & sketch and I can't paste snips into Writer with the new tool.
My Tip:
Always optimize the images before you insert them into a document. Use a third party image manager tool like the free Irfan View. Adjust the size, dpi, and color depth values to the optimal values, then paste the image or insert it from file.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
chiefy321

Re: Use Windows "Snip & sketch tool" with Writer

Post by chiefy321 »

I have the same or simmilar problem
I found this info
https://windowsreport.com/snipping-tool ... clipboard/
It describes turning on the "Update the clipboard automatically when annotating" property.
I Checked my settings and it was already turned on.
I tried copy and then pasted into a new email, my email client is "eM client".
That worked, it pasted OK.
I tried pasting into open office writer Still nothing happens.
So the problem would appear to be open office writer Not the clipboard.
Help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10
justpassinthru

Post by justpassinthru »

My guess is that Micro$oft is making it difficult for open source products in yet another attempt to drive more Office customers.
I have a work around that requires an extra step, but does seem to work. Using Snip & Sketch capture the desired information then paste it into Micro$oft Word. Copy from Word and,(at least for me), it pastes into OpenOffice.

Hope it helps.
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on Windows 10 Pro
openWatch

Post by openWatch »

I also need to use an extra step ... paste in MS Paint ... then copy / paste again (not worth the hassle)
I would think it has to be the image format that Writer is not able to handle.
I will change back to Snipping Tool (still available on Windows 10 2004). It also seems to load quicker.
Using PrtScn or Atl-PrtScn and MS Paint is good enough for cropping / annotating.
GHacks has a good list of alternatives: https://www.ghacks.net/overview-best-sc ... -software/
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10.2004