[Solved] AOO 4.1.5 cannot open .xlsx files w/o conversion

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
David Smith

[Solved] AOO 4.1.5 cannot open .xlsx files w/o conversion

Post by David Smith »

I installed version 4.1.5 on 18th feb. I am now able to read .docx files without conversion. However I cannot open .xlsx files without conversion to .xls. When I tried I got a data error. I tried reinstalling from the installation file but this did not cure it.
Last edited by David Smith on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: version 4.1.5 cannot open .xlsx files without conversion

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

AOO can open .docx, .xlsx and .pptx files but cannot save to them. LibreOffice can save to them with limited success.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation, and why you should always work in and save files as .odt. The divergence between spreadsheet files is greater than that between text files.
MS files.gif
As a new poster you will find much useful information in the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials, the up to date Writer guide and the Writer Manual. May I suggest you bookmark the pages.

Press F1 to access the Help screen and search for your problem

The chapter headings in the manual are:

1 - Introducing Writer
2 - Setting up Writer
3 - Working with Text
4 - Formatting Pages
5 - Printing, Exporting, Faxing and E-Mailing
6 - Introduction to Styles
7 - Working with Styles
8 - Working with Graphics
9 - Working with Tables
10 - Working with Templates
11 - Using Mail Merge
12 - Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
13 - Working with Master Documents
14 - Working with Fields
15 - Using Forms in Writer
16 - Customizing Writer – Keyboard shortcuts.

When a pop-up window opens, click the Help button for extensive help on that function - it is often more comprehensive than the manual.
If your problem is solved please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Last edited by John_Ha on Mon May 21, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Thanks for clarifying that AOO 4.1.5 should be able to open .xlsx files ok but not save in that format. However it did not work for me. I will assume that there was a corruption when downloading the installation file, and download again. I also note that Libre Office should be able to save as .xlsx but that it does not always work.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do you get any message when the file in question dos not open?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Yes something like 'data error', but failed to record exact message. Am currently trying to reinstall but it says I have close Open office Quick start whaterevr that is, so I guess I will have to reboot and try again.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

ok I downloaded the installation file again and reinstalled. Once again .docx file opened ok but when I tried to open a .xlsx file I got the error 'General Error General input/output error'. I tried 'open with' but could not find the appropriate app.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

David Smith wrote:I got the error 'General Error General input/output error'.
As you can appreciate, had you said that in your first post it would have helped with the diagnosis.

The file is corrupted - search the forum with general input output error for a number of posts. Upload it here (128 kB max) or to a file share site and someone may be able to recover some of the file.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Just to add that I can open the files using XML converter. Should have mentioned that they are password protected in case that is relevant.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I have tried several password protected .xlsx files and always get the same error, but they can all be opened using the XML converter. I have also tried several non password protected files and they open fins as .xlsx. I am therefore going to mark this SOLVED. Thank you for your patience.