[Solved] Using 2 spreadsheets

Discuss the database features
Dropout

[Solved] Using 2 spreadsheets

Post by Dropout »

Good afternoon.

I want to set up some that can import/reference 2 different spreadsheets and run standard queries on them. One of the columns is the same name in both but I need the combination of the two to get the data I need.

I can get one spreadsheet imported/opened as a table but cannot figure out how to see the other. I've Googled what I think are relevant phrases but I can't seem to find the right words to get an answer.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Using 2 spreadsheets

Post by Villeroy »

No, you can not merge more than one spreadsheet document in one data source. There is only one thing I can think of: Create a form on a stand-alone document (Calc or Writer) linked to the first data source table and a dependent subform linked to the second data source table. The subform shows records related to the main form's current record.

Do yourself a favour and turn it into a true database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Dropout

Post by Dropout »

Hi Villeroy.

If I make a true database, how can I import data from the spreadsheets? That data comes from two sources and changes on a daily basis.

Dropout
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Make sure that the sheet data are consistent.
Copy the data.
Select the table icon of a database and paste.
A wizard pops up where you choose to append data and map the sheet columns to the right table columns.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Dropout

Post by Dropout »

Thanks.
dreamquartz

Post by dreamquartz »

Why don't you create a 3rd sheet copying or hyper-iinking all the relevant data, so the database has one sheet to work with?

Dream
LO 7.x, HSQLDB 2.7.x & Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.