[Solved] Update record from form

Discuss the database features
balaams_ass

[Solved] Update record from form

Post by balaams_ass »

Forgive my noobishness.

I have experience years ago in dBase and Access but grey hairs have replaced the knowledge I used to have and despite searching these forums I haven't found an answer.

I am running a non-profit all volunteer chapter of an organization that delivers beds to kids who don't have one and the national org provides client management via a Martizcx interface. It is not well suited for the task principally because the data is displayed in a columnar format and requires constant scrolling when calling to vet potential clients. I have downloaded the data,converted to a csv file and imported into Base. I then created (using the wizard) a form. The table has an unused record field (Text[VARCHAR]) that I would like to edit and update per record for notes about the client contact. I cannot figure out how to make this field editable in the form.

If I'm asking too much I understand and I'm happy to provide any other info I can to solve this if it can be done.

Thanks
Attachments
vettingnotes.jpg
Last edited by balaams_ass on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 6.2 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Update record from form

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Your signature says OpenOffice 6.2, but the most recent version of OpenOffice is 4.1.6 so I suspect you are using LibreOffice 6.2.

Right click on the Form document and select Edit to open your form document in the Edit/Design mode.
While holding down the <Ctrl> key, click somewhere on the text box that you want to use for entering the notes, in this case I am assuming the text box control labeled Vetting Notes You should see 8 green handles appear surrounding just that text box control.
Right click and select Control from the popup menu, to open the Properties: Text Box dialog.
Select the Data tab of the dialog
On the line labeled Data field select the down arrow to display the list of available table fields.
Select the name of the field where you want to save the notes.
Select the General tab.
Scroll down to the Text type property and change it from Single-line to Multi-line.
Press <Ctrl>S to save the changes.
Near the top on the left margin select the Design Mode icon to switch to the live mode where you are connected to your data.
You should now be able to enter/edit and save your notes.

If this doesn’t work for you then please upload a sample database so we can better help you. The sample database only needs two or three records, and any personal data should be changed.

Embedded databases are a good teaching platform, but there are some risks for serious databases. Be sure to back up frequently, especially if you are using a laptop. Making a backup after each use would reduce the chances of losing all the data.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11