Base and Java

Discuss the database features
dovestar

Base and Java

Post by dovestar »

I have been trying to get database to work, but to no avail. The problem is I get an error message that tells me I must have Java installed (whatever that is) to make the database app work. Problem is, I HAVE Java 8 (the latest version). I have installed it. Funny thing, the install info doesnt tell me where it is, and even if I knew that, there is no place in Office that asks for the path to Java and I wouldn't know what it was anyhow. HAAALLLLP!
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove huge font size
Open Office 4.16 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate
RusselB

Re: Base and Java

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
First off, the latest version of Java is (probably) a 64 bit version. Open Office requires the 32 bit version. You can have both versions installed on your system at the same time with no problems.
As to identifying to OpenOffice where the Java files are installed, from any OpenOffice component select Tools -> Options
Then in the Options dialog, select OpenOffice -> Java
If you have a correct version (ie: 32 bit) of Java installed, that part of the dialog, should, automatically detect and register it in OpenOffice... You'll see it listed in the dialog box.
If there is more than one entry, you'll have to select the one you want to use, as that means OpenOffice is detecting multiple valid versions of Java.
If that dialog is empty, wait for a minute or two to see if it populates. If it doesn't then use the Add button, with the associated dialog, to point to your installation of a 32 bit version of Java.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
robleyd

Re: Base and Java

Post by robleyd »

You may also find Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java a useful resource.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers