Want to create a small database to keep student details

Discuss the database features
Orc_123

Want to create a small database to keep student details

Post by Orc_123 »

Hi all

I work for a small school (about 80 pupils). I need to create a database that will contain all the necessary information that we need for our pupils (and their parents).

We need to basically be able to capture about 50 different bits of information, ranging from Name(s), ID numbers, Contact numbers, Addresses, to date of enrollment and other bits of trivia.

I've never worked with databases before (well I tampered with some in my previous life as a software quality assurance tester, but that was TAMPERING, as in I wanted things to break or at least demonstrate that they were vulnerable).

I have certainly never designed one.

Where do I start? Do I try and use one of the templates and modify the fields or... what ?

Feel free to write to me like I am a complete dube, because I am.

Any help, advice or comments welcome.

Kind Regards
Orc_123
OpenOffice 4.1.6 Windows XP and later
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Want to create a small database to keep student details

Post by Villeroy »

This is huge! Not because of the 80 persons (could be 80 million). It's huge because of the 50 attributes. As a complete beginner you will certainly create a database with one table having 50 columns, most of them text. Such a table with filter and sort options could be dumped into a spreadsheet as well. Can be a useful ad-hoc solution to answer ad-hoc questions, in the long run it will be difficult to maintain without turning data into valuable information. While builting a database application, the question is about how to turn soft information into structured data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

There are numerous textbooks on database design, but look at this tutorial to see one approach
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ima ... torial.pdf
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
systemdocean

Post by systemdocean »

Hello,

While this is a big task, it is doable. I do suggest you seek a professional solution, but regardless you should be able to get a working application going.

The thing though, is that you have to think about the database itself. That's the important bit here. Base is just a front end for the database. Yes, that is also important, but you will grow extremely frustrated at Base for things that are actually database issues if the database isn't set up properly. (By setup, I mean tables, normalization, and the data "layout".)

You will first need to practice with a database to get a feel of what it's actually doing. I'd suggest playing around with the basic embedded database in Base, or setting up a MariaDB/MySQL/MS-SQL instance and following tutorials. (The latter options will expose you to more database concepts while the former is more so going to be about Base itself.)

Then, normalization. Normalization is the key really to making a database. People all the time on here, on reddit, and elsewhere blame Base for issues that, in reality, are caused by poorly normalized tables and data. You will absolutely need to read in on and practice the several normal forms (The first 4 are fine, the last are really advanced and out of my scope).

I'm not getting into the details on those, as there is a plethora of information available online and on here regarding that. And I'm sure someone else will chime in. Regardless, read the manuals, search this forum, search google, and pleaseeeeeee try to practice using SQL, at least once you get a grasp of data storage. It will increase your flexibility immensely.
LibreOffice 6.0.6.2 Portable on Windows 10