[Solved] Source Code for forms and reports

Discuss the database features
RBromer

[Solved] Source Code for forms and reports

Post by RBromer »

I need help using the dBase code that I have written to produce reports and forms in Base. I expect that I will have to change the syntax somewhat. How do I find and edit this code in Base?

I previously used dBase 2.6 and have quite a bit of source code created. I am trying to switch to Base because I can't load dBase on my new computer.

The only code I can see in Base are the sql's for queries. I created a report and a form but I can't figure out how to see the source code behind the reports or forms. In dBase, there is a separate file for each query, program, report, etc. In Base, all I see is one file containing everything.

I want to bring in all of the code that I had previously written. I realize that some of the syntax might be different, but right now I have nothing.
Last edited by RBromer on Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruth Bromer, OpenOffice version 4.1.5, Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Source Code for forms and reports

Post by Villeroy »

Base is a tiny addition to the office suite, 30 MB including the database drivers. It serves well as a bridge between databases and office documents. By no means it is a database development suite, not even close. Base comes with an outdated version of HyperSQL which allows you to embed a HyperSQL database in the container. LibreOffice offers Firebird as an alternative for an embedded database.

A Base document is a zip file with configuration data for the database connection, query definitions and embedded text documents.
A form is a Writer document embedded in the Base document. There is no code that defines a plain form otherwise.
An old style report is a Writer document with one text table embedded in the Base document. There is no code that defines a plain form otherwise. There is a report builder extension which creates more sophisticated reports as a distinct document format.
Writing macros is a pain in the ass.

The built-in dBase driver is very limited. It does not allow relations or more than one table per query. You may use your own one via ODBC.
The form "wizard" does not even cover 10% of the capabilities. It creates one form and one subform at the most. It can not even create any list boxes. Useful forms can be created manually.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RBromer

Re: Source Code for forms and reports

Post by RBromer »

Thank you for answering. It wasn't what I had hoped but at least now I don't have to keep trying.
Ruth Bromer, OpenOffice version 4.1.5, Windows 10