Import data

Discuss the database features
01Pad

Import data

Post by 01Pad »

Hi
I am familiar with documents and spreadsheets, but a complete newbie when it comes to databases.
In Word, I had a mailmerge system set up which took data out of a table in one word document and merged it into a report. simple.
I have learned that this is not possible in OOO. I have to make a database and do a report from that.
I have been running a fix which also had a large document with a table in it, and I cut and pasted the line I wanted into a report. This has been fairly successful, if laborious, and the source document, which is added to every week, is becoming very slow to load.
I need to have some random access database on the HDD which can grow without clogging up RAM too much.
I could do this on the ZX Spectrum many years ago (My first computer back in the 80s) but am struggling now.
So I have spent a frustrating and interesting couple of hours trying again to make it work with a database.
I have exported the data from my old table into a csv file.
I have created a database (and registered it - whatever that means), and have set out a table that specifies the data I need, using the titles in the csv file.
But I can't find a way of linking the two documents. It seems to want always to impose my data onto an address book with its own titles.
I have looked through the beginner guides, but can find nothing that helps me with this task.
If there is someone out there who can advise, I'd be very grateful.
Many thanks
Paddy
OpenOffice 3.1 on Win 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Import data

Post by Villeroy »

It is possible with https://libreoffice.org/ which is the successor of OpenOffice. It can connect a database to a text document with text tables.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
robleyd

Re: Import data

Post by robleyd »

Same question posted at AskLibreOffice

Have you looked at the Mail Merge feature described in chapter 11 of the Writer Guide?
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers