Comment box

Discuss the database features
musictatter

Comment box

Post by musictatter »

I am a newbie and still learning. I have searched the help section, but no help was found.

Every time I want to add a comment box to a section, it opens 2 cells from the cell I want it. I can move the box when I edit, but I cannot get a hold of the arrow to move it. Is there somewhere in the settings to change where the box and arrow open up?

Thanks
Open office 4.16
WIndows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Comment box

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Your question is a little vague.
If you see "OpenOffice Base: Table Data View" along the top of the window then no you cannot change the position of the columns, you can only adjust their width. It is almost always better to use a Form for data entry instead of the Table Data View GUI.
Select Forms along the left of the main database window.
Select Use Wizard to Create Form.
On Step 1 of the wizard select the name of the table holding your data from the list of Tables or queries.
If you select the button with the double arrow >> it will place all the fields from your table onto the form.
For your first form move directly to Step 8 where you can enter a name for your form, also select the option Modify the form
Select Finish to create the form and display it in the Design Mode.
You should see a table grid without any data.
click somewhere in the middle of the grid and 6 green handles will appear.
If need be, you can use those handles to adjust the size of the table.
Select one of the column headings and now you can resize it or drag it into a different position.
Select Design Mode On/Off. It is the icon (triangle, ruler and pencil) second from the left near the bottom of the screen. Actually, there will probably be second one near the top left of the window, either one will work.
Your table will now be populated with data from your table and you can continue with your data entry.
Be sure to Save the form when it prompts you.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11