Exporting data from Calc into a database

Discuss the database features
doublest

Exporting data from Calc into a database

Post by doublest »

Finally Figured out how to get a list from write int a calc field. Now, I am trying to get that data into a base table. In my question re: the calc problem, solution offered included going to page 193 of base handbook 4.0. The solution offered in the handbook is really fuzzy to me. The illustration pictured for my problem does not resemble what I see on my screen. Am I using the correct user guide for open office?
open office 4.1.6 Operating system windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Exporting data from Calc into a database

Post by Villeroy »

The chapter in the Base book assumes that you already have some database up and running. I think you don't want this. However, you did not answer my question in the other topic. Why do you want to copy your Calc table (former text table) into a database?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
doublest

Post by doublest »

I'm trying to create a database of fishing tackle that I have on hand , and the list that I created is a list of tackle manufacturers that I would like to enter into a table so that I may create a drop down list to put on a form for my data entry. I think there are probably at least 75 to 100 on the list that I have created and I would like to get them from calc to my db table without having to re type them all again Note: I am 80 yrs old and have had several strokes; therefore I only have the use of one arm for typing, so it is an arduous chore to do a lot of typing with the old hunt of peck method, I make a lot of mistakes and must spend a lot of time proofing and retyping. This is one of the main reasons I decided to give this dbase thing a try. I figured once I got it set up, it would make the entry a lot easier. At my age I figure I don't figure I have a hell of a lot of time to set here at the computer and keep correcting typing errors
open office 4.1.6 Operating system windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I've sent a personal message.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I copied your column of manufacturer names into a database table "Manufacturers" after removing leading and trailing spaces and trailing dashes.

So far the first input form in that database lets you enter manufacturers into a table named "Dummy" with the help of a list box within a table grid. When a list box is focussed you can simply enter the first letters of a manufacturer name in order to select the right manufacturer. Alt+Down drops down the list box. The very last row in the grid takes a new manufacturer entry in the "Dummy" table.

I added a second form with a stand-alone list box with no grid. Every manufacturer entry you enter adds a new entry in the "Dummy" table.

This is all I can do for now since I don't know what else should be stored.
Attachments
fishing_tackle.odb
(24.23 KiB) Downloaded 166 times