[Solved] Table creation

Discuss the database features

[Solved] Table creation

Postby doublest » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm new to database creation and am pretty much a computer dummy. I performed a search and perhaps I didn't use the proper terminology. y question is: I have a numbered list in open office writer can i import it to base to create a table without typing each item
Last edited by doublest on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
open office 4.1.6 Operating system windows 10
doublest

Re: Table creation

Postby Villeroy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Why do you want to have these data in a database? Do you need it for a serial letter, label printing or something?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby UnklDonald418 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:54 am

Yes it is possible, but first the list must be placed in a table.
One approach would be to copy the list onto a Calc spreadsheet then follow the instructions Exporting data from Calc into a database beginning on page 193 of the Base Handbook
https://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/base/
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 & LibreOffice 6.1.5.2 - Windows 10 Professional
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Postby Villeroy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:05 pm

If you only want to read from that table to fill a form letter or something similar, you have 3 choices. None of them requires a true database table:

1) Do as recommended by UnklDonald, copy to Calc but then store the Calc document and connect a new database to the Calc document.
2) If there is more than this table in the Writer document, copy only the relevant table into another Writer document, call Table>Convert>Table to text and save the file as a plain text file in a dedicated directory. Then connect a Base document to that dedicated directory of plain text.
3) Install LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice and connect a Base document to your Writer document. Your Writer table will be accessible to form letters as if it were a database table. LibreOffice is the successor of OpenOffice.

How to connect a Base document to some tabular data source you have:
File>New>Database...
Connect to existing database
Type: one of Spreadsheet, Text, Text table (LibreOffice only) or something that represents a true database.
[X] Register the database
Save the database.

Now you can create your form letters from that data source. You maintain the list in the respective program as you did before without touching the Base document.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04, no OpenOffice, LibreOffice 6.x
Villeroy
Volunteer

Postby doublest » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:54 pm

Got it Thanks ever so much really appreciate the help. This will be a real time saver as I only have the use of one hand and arm due to a series of strokes.
open office 4.1.6 Operating system windows 10
doublest

Return to Base