Help migrating from MS Access

Discuss the database features
mattjackson

Help migrating from MS Access

Post by mattjackson »

I've been trying to migrate a database from Access (a .mdb file) to Base. I followed the process of connecting to an existing database, choosing Access, and it worked fine - I have a new .odb file where I can view the database. I created a form similar to the one I had in Access and that worked fine too.

Thinking I was done, I cleaned up the old Access files I had been using (I have got them backed up). The next time I went to open the .odb file, it wouldn't work and showed me the error message saying the connection to the data source couldn't be established, and I realised it was still trying to access my original .mdb file. I (obviously mistakenly) thought that the process had imported all the data into Base, but clearly that's not the case.

Can this be done? i.e. can I import the original data so that the .odb file no longer requires a connection to the original .mdb file?
OpenOffice 4.1.6 on MacOS Mojave
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Help migrating from MS Access

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum

Search the forum with access to find plenty of posts about Access.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.