[Solved] Plex Media Database

Discuss the database features
RusselB

[Solved] Plex Media Database

Post by RusselB »

I use Plex Media to make it easier to be able to watch videos that I have on my computer in different locations.
I recently was noticing that some of the files on my computer aren't showing up in Plex or not showing up as expected.
Thus I thought I'd take a look at the database that Plex uses, and downloaded it.
I then went to open it using Base, only to find that I got a Text Import dialog. I'd had this with other databases, so I wasn't too concerned.
However, when the file still hadn't shown in Base after 30 minutes, I was getting a bit concerned.
I checked, and found that OpenOffice had stopped responding, and that the memory allocation was being reported at nearly 500,000k
I have been unable to open the database file generated by Plex in any program, though, I believe I should be able to.
If someone wants to take a look at the file generated by Plex, you can find it here
This is a compressed file, at nearly 65M in size, with the uncompressed database file using nearly 265M.
If someone can figure out what I need to do to be able to see what's in that file, I would greatly appreciate it,
Please note, there are no options available to change how that file is generated, so any future files would be generated in the same manner.
Last edited by RusselB on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
eremmel

Re: Plex Media Database

Post by eremmel »

Hi Russel,
The file is a SQLite database (just loaded the file in an editor that accepts binary data). It might help when you give it the extension *.db3. You can use SQLiteSpy (http://www.yunqa.de) to examine its content. There is at least an JDBC driver available to connect.
Have fun,
Erik
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
RusselB

Re: Plex Media Database

Post by RusselB »

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm going to have to make some extra steps if I want to examine the database as the filename for the database and the compressed file are generated by Plex, giving me no opportunity to make any kind of changes to the filename or extension.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
eremmel

Re: [Solved] Plex Media Database

Post by eremmel »

I thought I give it a try.
Good news: You do not need a file with *.db3 extension.
Bad news: When opening a table or form you get the message "SQLite only supports TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY cursors". It looks like that OO uses a different cursor interface to access data.
Tested with:

Code: Select all

Jar file: 
     sqlite-jdbc-3.23.1.jar
Connection:
      jdbc:sqlite:C:/Temp/Download/databaseBackup
      class:org.sqlite.JDBC
You might checkout Using SQLite With OO for other ways to connect. SQLite ODBC clames to have an ODBC driver for windows, that might be your escape.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)