[Solved] How to copy a Base db to another PC?

Discuss the database features
sgilewicz

[Solved] How to copy a Base db to another PC?

Post by sgilewicz »

Hello all!

I am new to Open Office Base but have worked, for many years, with Access and SQL Server. My problem is trying to copy a small Base db (that helps my local HOA track tennis members, courts and matches) to my HOA's PC. After copying the odb file to the HOA PC I can launch the "new" db but when I try to access any content (tables, forms, etc) I get the following:

The connection to the data source "Mens Tennis" could not be established
The URL 'file:///C:/Users/stan/Documents/Mens%Tennis' is not valid. A connection can not be created.

After numerous hours of scouring the internet for an explanation I have humbly come here seeking enlightenment! I have copied Access files from one PC to another many times (provided it was not a shared db). It goes without saying that I am probably missing a simple item or concept. FYI the odb file has been registered with the correct path and I have tried placing it in both user and new directories with the same result. Any help with what seemed to be a simple process is greatly appreciated!

Stan
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
RoryOF

Re: How to copy a Base db to another PC?

Post by RoryOF »

The .odb file is merely a front end to an underling database engine. You need to move that also, then set the link, as the error message tells you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
sgilewicz

Post by sgilewicz »

Thanks for the quick reply. Where does the underlying db engine typically reside and what would be its name? Sorry for the ignorance!
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The status bar of the Base window indicates the database connection.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
sgilewicz

Post by sgilewicz »

Thanks! I got it transferred successfully. I was completely clueless that the db files were not part of the odb file. Your help is much appreciated. Great forum!
Open Office 4.1.5
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

sgilewicz wrote:Thanks! I got it transferred successfully. I was completely clueless that the db files were not part of the odb file. Your help is much appreciated. Great forum!
Sometimes they are. The statusbar reads "HSQLDB embedded" then. This embedded type may be called a "Base database". Yours is obviously not a "Base database".
The actual type of database is the most important info when dealing with Base questions.
Base is not a database. Base is a tool to work with databases.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice