My first database... errors :(

Discuss the database features
Lindo

My first database... errors :(

Post by Lindo »

trying to create a database with AOO.
making a list of Pokemon, that i can update(manually or automatic)
i want them to be sorted alphabetically, as well as by the set they were released from.

I tryed to open up tables but it gave me a error right off the hop.
Untitled.png
theres an error after that but first i want to say i did go and download what it says i need in the first error

i click ok on the first error and right away the second error pops up
Untitled1.png
Im not even sure what to do with this one, and right after this it takes me off of tables.

i do have questions after these errors get fixed.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10 OS
FJCC

Re: My frist database... errors :(

Post by FJCC »

Did you download a 32 bit JRE? If you did, you will have a Java folder in the folder C:\Program Files (x86). Did you tell OpenOffice about the location of the JRE by going to the menu Tools -> Options, expanding the OpenOffice list on the left, clicking Java and then clicking Use a Jave Runtime Environment. Wait a few seconds after that and you should see a list of available JREs. Click the radio button next to the one you want to use.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Lindo

Post by Lindo »

no i did not see a 32bit, I just went back and downloaded a 32bit. its working now thank you very much.
Last edited by Lindo on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10 OS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lindo

Post by Lindo »

Ok so now that i can use the tables ill explain a bit more :)
(thank you all so much)

So being my first time using Base, im not sure how it works. so sorry for newbish questions

I need to beable to look up a pokemon and see how many cards of it i have.
looking at the table i should be able to set it up so that it says what set the pokemon comes from.. or atlest the card
when i call on a pokemon, i would like it to tell me all the sets that it can be in even if i dont have the cards for it. (idk might be easyier if i do that in the table)

Ok so i am trying to work on my table, i cant seem to figure it out. can i not have more then the 3 fields it starts me with?

if theres anything else you guys think i should know. please feel free to tell me :)
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10 OS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The underlying HSQL database works just like all the SQL database engines on the market.
Base is not a database. Base is a tiny addition to this office suite. It is no more than a bridge between databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL, dBase, ...) and office documents.
It is absolutely impossible to create a useful database with more than one table before you gained some theroethical knowledge.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Lindo

Post by Lindo »

Im sorry Villeroy, did not follow most of that.
are you saying what i want to do is not possible with base?
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10 OS
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You ca do what you have described with Base. What Villeroy is saying is that the database engine that Base connects to by default is very much like any other database engine and you need to study databases in general before you jump into making one with multiple tables. Take a look at this tutorial.. It is long but will get you set up very well to plan your own database.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Look at the status bar of your screenshot. It reads "Embedded database, HSQL database engine"
HSQL is the actual database you are working with. In this particular case the HSQLDB is embedded within the Base document. It is a HSQLDB of version 1.8 which is documented here: http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/1.8/guide/ch09.html for the users of OpenOffice and LibreOffice. The current version of HSQL is 2.4.
You could connect your Base document to an external MySQL or many other types of databases.

This is the status bar of another Base document which is connected to an external HSQLDB on a local network server:

All this is nothing special, It is most trivial database technology and you can use it with Base if you know the technology. You are entering a completely different territory which has nothing to do with office documents.

I think, 99% of all Base documents are connected to spreadsheet documents in order to do a mail merge or label printing in Writer:
This connection makes some sections of a spreadsheet availlable to office documents as if the spreadsheet were a database.
Lindo

Post by Lindo »

FJCC wrote:you need to study databases in general before you jump into making one with multiple tables. Take a look at this tutorial.. It is long but will get you set up very well to plan your own database.
Thank you very much ill take a look at it and then post again when i understand more :)
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10 OS
rowlandr

Post by rowlandr »

I am having a similar problem. Note I have more than 20 years experience in creating databases but this is the first time I have tried to create a database in Open Office.

Windows 10 64 bit
Java installed and can be seen under Programs Files.
Under Tools Options OO says Java Runtime already installed
But when I try to create a database in OO
Open Office requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Please install a JRE and restart Open Office

RR
Open Office 4.15 Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You need to install and select a 32 bit Java.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Lindo

Post by Lindo »

rowlandr wrote: Java installed and can be seen under Programs Files.
Under Tools Options OO says Java Runtime already installed
But when I try to create a database in OO
Open Office requires Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Please install a JRE and restart Open Office
RR
seems like it has to be be a 32bit jre version. i had a 64bit JRE version and it did not work i got the 32bit JRE and it worked.
Open Office 4.1.4
Windows 10 OS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You could also install the 64-bit version of LibreOffice for Windows and get a more modern variant of OpenOffice which will use the 64-bit Java that is installed by default on 64-bit systems.