[Solved] Building a Grocery Database

Discuss the database features
jamjr40

[Solved] Building a Grocery Database

Post by jamjr40 »

Hi. My name is Jim. I want to use OpenOffice database to track grocery store expenditures. I created the database "groceries" and have begun building tables base on specific grocery item - ie milk, cheese, butter, eggs, etc. However, when I tried to create a report on total cost only one table was used. How do i create a report that queries all of y tables?

Jim Minnich
 Edit: Removed email address - FJCC 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Building a Grocery Database

Post by John_Ha »

If you are going to use Base, which is not the easiest or most user friendly application, you need to read the documentation and tutorials.

The LibreOffice Base Handbook is very good and covers AOO as AOO and LO Base components are almost identical.

Also see Base Tutorial which was written before LO forked from AOO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Here is a little demonstration database that does something similar to what you are attempting.
Demo32_Groceries.odb
(22.01 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
There are two form documents. Expenditures has a basic table grid with a list box for displaying/entering basic data. Expenditures01 is slightly more advanced with a SubForm to display Categories and SubTotals
There are 3 queries that generate totals by line, category and date.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
jamjr40

Post by jamjr40 »

Thanks Unkdonald418. This was very helpful. I remember now from using Microsoft Access years ago how to link specific lists in a database.

Jim Minnich
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6