OpenOffice Base and Java

Discuss the database features
PC_Confused

OpenOffice Base and Java

Post by PC_Confused »

I don't want to start crying wolf, or put out misleading information, but I recently had to update my copy of Java. During the install, I received a message I think it said something about not being a free download after 2019 or 2020. My database created in Open Office Base needs the 32-bit version of Java (JRE) to run. I can't even get the database to run using the 64-bit version (I have both on my PC, one for the 64-bit requirements and I had to download and install the 32-bit version so I can use the Base program that requires Java 32-bit to run). As far as I know, Open Office Base in the only program on my PC, that requires Java 32-bit.
If that was a true message, will the Open Office Base program be upgraded to run without Java?
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Base and Java

Post by Zizi64 »

If that was a true message, will the Open Office Base program be upgraded to run without Java?
The LibreOffice has 32 and 64 bit versions for Windows. Try it.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Base and Java

Post by Villeroy »

PC_Confused wrote: If that was a true message, will the Open Office Base program be upgraded to run without Java?
Look at the status bar of your Base window.
And what is a HSQL database according to its developer?
HSQLDB (HyperSQL DataBase) is the leading SQL relational database software written in Java.
If you don't want any Java software for whatever reason, you can indeed install LibreOffice 6.1 and try Base with an embedded Firebird database which does not depend on Java.
This type of database is by far not as powerful as embedded HSQL and the offered tool to convert embedded HSQL to embedded Firebird depends on Java in order to read the HSQLDB and will almost certainly leave you alone with a dysfunctional database but this is one possible result when developers are driven by ideology. And the beloved Base wizards (which offer no wizardry at all) still rely on Java code.

At least you can use LibreOffice with a 64-bit Java since LibreOffice is availlable as a 64-bit version for that lousy operating system called "Windows".

To confuse you even more: You can run OpenOffice Base completely without any Java installed on your system if you connect a Base document to some non-Java database (MySQL is one of the most popular ones) and then design your tables, queries and forms manually without any wizards.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice