[Solved] Is "Switchboard" extension needed? (Answer: No)

Discuss the database features
MPEcho

[Solved] Is "Switchboard" extension needed? (Answer: No)

Post by MPEcho »

Greetings all:

I am at a planning stage and am reluctant to break something. I've read the interesting tutorial about standalone forms here:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=40493&p=354453#p186282

That document starts off discussing the "Switchboard" extension as something that can be used. But the how to discussion does not seem to mention when to use it. From what I gather, I should follow the procedure to export and reconnect my forms. Then, as necessary, convert existing push buttons to open other stand alone forms using the URL (and readonly) and not macros. It also discusses creating a separate document that can have push buttons giving access to all the forms, reports, etc.

Looks to me like the ability to do all of this is built into AOO/LO and that the "Switchboard extension" is not needed. Is that correct?
Last edited by MPEcho on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libre Office 5.1.6.2 Ubuntu 16.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Is "Switchboard" extension needed?

Post by Villeroy »

It is a nice looking convenience tool. Other database frontends have something similar built in. As far as I can see, it does not add anything which can't be accomplished without it. The switchboard is certaily nicer than the Base document's forms and reports containers.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
MPEcho

Re: Is "Switchboard" extension needed?

Post by MPEcho »

Thanks Villeroy,
I think I'll do without. Even if it is convenient, i don't want to rely on an extension that hasn't been updated in 8 years and may break with the next update to LO
Libre Office 5.1.6.2 Ubuntu 16.04