[Solved] Data transfer from one page to another

Discuss the database features
Christy

[Solved] Data transfer from one page to another

Post by Christy »

Hello everyone,
I am a newbie in all respects of the word.

I am trying to teach myself through webinars and this forum how to use open office. I have never used any program like this, I hope you guys can forgive me if I don't know how to ask my question correctly or if I ask a stupid question, so here goes.

I am trying to create a billing spreadsheet for work that will transfer my monthly customers who have been billed to my all yearly invoices page. I have several sheets with the same information that needs to be entered when I complete the monthly page. for example, Page 1 monitor and page 2 service calls have to be reported to my boss as separate reports as they are controlled by different departments but I have to submit a monthly invoice report that shows all invoices that were mailed out for that month to determine my income spreadsheet and also delinquent accounts. my question is how do I input my data into 1 sheet and make it copy to another without having to enter the same information multiple times. I can fix this if I do it by cell, which I have found the answer for this in other forums, but I need to enter by column as I need 6 columns to transfer automatically with each row staying the same all the way across.
Last edited by Christy on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christyk
open office version 4.1.2
microsoft windows 10 pro
RusselB

Re: data transfer from one page to another

Post by RusselB »

First off, Welcome to the Forums.
I'm (hopefully) going to save you a lot of headaches in the long run by telling you that a spreadsheet is the wrong tool for this project.
The correct tool is a database.
Many people try to use a spreadsheet as a database, and end up with a lot of problems.
If you don't have a lot of information already entered, then you should be able to go to a database fairly easily... if you do have a lot, then it might be easier to import the spreadsheet data into the database.
Databases can be more complicated than spreadsheets, but the effort put into learning how to work with the correct tool will be worth it in the long run,
There are a number of tutorials online for learning how to work with OpenOffice's database program, which is called Base.
A Google search will bring up, imo, some of the best available,
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Christy

Post by Christy »

Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it.
I am trying to find the download for open office base online to see if I can fix my problem with this. Can you please help me understand where that is. I googled it but it keeps trying to redownload the original open office which I of course already have.
christyk
microsoft windows 10 pro
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

If you did a standard installation of OpenOffice then you already have Base.
If your signature is correct Click on the Windows icon and scroll through the list of installed programs and click on OpenOffice 4.1.2. OpenOffice Base should be the second item on the list.

There is a significant learning curve when using Base. There are a number of Base tutorials and Examples at
Base Tutorials
And one on database design
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ima ... torial.pdf
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Christy

Re: Data transfer from one page to another

Post by Christy »

Thank you so much for the help. i am attempting this program now.
christyk
microsoft windows 10 pro
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Data transfer from one page to another

Post by UnklDonald418 »

If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11