[Solved] Saving as CSV

Discuss the database features
Gordon Stewart

[Solved] Saving as CSV

Post by Gordon Stewart »

I had a database saved using Microsoft Works. In order to print mailing labels (usually only @ XMAS time), I had to also save it in CSV format, which I did. Due to a computer problem, I have lost that database & must recreate it - fortunately I have a printed copy of the data so I can re-input the data. I can see HOW to create a database but I CANNOT see how to also save it in CSV format. Assistance/information will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue May 29, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.5 & Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Saving as CSV

Post by Villeroy »

For a simple address list you can create a source file in spreadsheet format, text (csv) or dBase. Base can also read address data from the Thunderbird mail client. You don't need a full blown relational database.
Then you can connect a Base document to that source and use it with the labels wizard or manually insert database fields into your document.
May be you can create a text file from the scanned papers by means of OCR (optical character recognition) and then insert tabs, semicolons or commas to separate the columns. Then save the text file in a dedicated directory, call File>New>Database... and connect the new Base document to the existing database which is the directory with the text file.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

One simple method to save any table/query as text:
Copy the icon of the table or query.
Paste into a spreadsheet.
File>SaveAs...
Type: Text(csv)
If you check "Edit filter options", you can specify some details.
---------------------
If you have created a new embedded HSQLDB, you can set up a text table, bind a file to it and then drag the icon of a table or view onto the text table icon as described in viewtopic.php?f=83&t=23260. This is easier to use but more difficult to set up because you have to use the HSQL software without Base.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

You can print labels from a Base database in OpenOffice without converting the data to CSV.
Open a Writer document and go to File>New>Labels to open the Labels dialog.
On the Labels tab you can choose from numerous pre-defined labels or on the Format tab you can design your own.
Also on the Labels tab you can choose which fields from your database you want to appear on your labels.
The Options tab allows you to choose if you want full pages of labels or individual labels. You can also do your printer setup from there.
Click on New Document to create a template for your labels.
When you print the template it will take you to the the Mail Merge dialog where you can complete generating your labels.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Gordon Stewart

Post by Gordon Stewart »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH - this has made my (future) job easier.
Open Office 4.1.5 & Windows 10