Is Reediting possible with an already created SQL database?

Discuss the database features
davik4life

Is Reediting possible with an already created SQL database?

Post by davik4life »

Please, I'm new and quickly getting a grasp of OOBase. Please, is there a way to simply edit an SQL data that has already been created, or do I have to keep going to either use ALTER or rather at some point, delete and recreate the table using SQL?
Last edited by robleyd on Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Known Issues icon [robleyd, Moderator]
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
FJCC

Re: Is Reediting possible with an already created SQL databa

Post by FJCC »

You can click the Tables icon in the left pane and then right click on the icon of the specific table and select Edit. YOu can then change column names and types. Is that what you are after?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
davik4life

Post by davik4life »

That's not what I want. What I want is to do whatever correction in the sql format without having to use the Alter function.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The method I mentioned allows you to do the equivalent of ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN, ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN, and at least some forms of ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN. For example, you can change the column type from Integer to Double. What kind of ALTER command are you not able to do through the GUI method I described?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

davik4life your question is rather vague.
ALTER TABLE is the most versatile way to edit the structure of a table. The table GUI in Base can perform many but not all the tasks that ALTER TABLE can.
To edit the data stored in a table, the SQL commands are DELETE, INSERT and UPDATE. While you can edit data directly in a Base table, Forms allow you to design a better GUI to accomplish many of those tasks.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Data definition: CREATE, ALTER, DROP a table or index. This is what you do before working with the database. You should not need any of these commands once the database is in use since the only thing that changes during normal operation is the amount of rows but not the amount of columns.

Data manipulation: INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE table rows. This is what you are supposed to do manually with input forms.

A SELECT statement selects rows from one table for data manipulation.
SELECTs from many tables are not editable in most cases but useful for reporting.
With forms, subforms and list boxes you can edit data from many related tables on one form.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice