Master detail report with report builder or extern tools ?

Discuss the database features
gelinp

Master detail report with report builder or extern tools ?

Post by gelinp »

I can't find yet any help about master details report with default report builder or Oracle report builder... What I need it to build report with sequentials details, like multi sections details. I find out Jasper Report tool but it doesn't look very easy to install, and it look's to use PostgreSQL and I'm working with HSQLDB... What I need will be a java solution with no install .. Do you no a solution ?

Thank you for your help !
Last edited by gelinp on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Libreoffice 6.4.6.2, Kernel: 5.4.0-52-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Master detail report with report builder or extern tools

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Some documentation for the Oracle/Sun report builder can be found at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/SUN_Re ... umentation
also the LO Base Handbook can be downloaded from
https://documentation.libreoffice.org/e ... tion/base/
Chapter 6 covers reports.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
gelinp

Post by gelinp »

Thank you. But with LO Base Handbook there is a really smple example, with header, subheader, details, it's not really a master/details report because there is only one details section like this :

Code: Select all

Header
   +--- SubHeader
              +----Details
   +----Sub Footer
Footer
What I mean is multi details sections like this :

Master1
     +---- details1
     +---- Master2
               +---- Details2
               +---- Master3
                         +---- Details3
Or Like This :

Master1
   +------- Details1
   +------- Details2
   +------- Details3
Etc.

LO BAse Documentation say :
Unlike a form, a report cannot include subreports and thus incorporate additional data sources
. So it doesn't look to be the solution...

And with SUN Report Builder/Documentation can't find anything about subreport or Master/details but only about grouping functions ...

So do you know a report extension with Master/Details and/or Subreports ? Or an other java open source tool to do it ?
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
gelinp

Post by gelinp »

Not really. It's a way to manage something not very different from what report builder do. And it's complicated to understand without any source file. I tried, but finally I failed to use it with my way ...
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The Oracle Report Builder that comes with LO generates nested groups. What you are asking for is sequential groupings which the report builder is not designed to do.
For sequential lists, create 3 queries/views to generate the 3 lists of details.
Then another query/view to join the 3 lists together using UNION ALL operations in SQL.
Finally, the output of that query/view can be used as the data source for a report.
For the UNION ALL to join the 3 lists each list must have the same number of columns. If, for instance one list has 5 columns and the other two have 6, adding a NULL column to the query with only 5 columns will allow the UNION ALL operation to work.

I suppose in a pinch, you could generate 3 reports, and since the output of the report builder is a Writer file you could use cut and paste to assemble the 3 reports into a single document.
longi

Post by longi »

Hi!
Neither ORB nor the ancient report builder system are able to make subreports for now.
I was able to build subreports by code.
A report is a set of texttables, and ORB is much more complex than the previous tool.
If we make a report with the old fashioned system, after each table we choose, we can put and fill one another table, which has to be based on a SQL sentence, related with some data from the first table(in order to be a subreport).
Ideally, we can repeat the proccess lots of times, but it could be a hard job for the programer and the computer.
So, It is not possible to build subreports with the tools we have nowadays, but by code it is. They would not be as a report inside another report, but a table related with a superior table, which is what you want.

Cheers mate!

Bye! ;)
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 7
LibreOffice 6.0.1 on Windows10