Database Field Size

Discuss the database features
wings329

Database Field Size

Post by wings329 »

I am new to this forum so please excuse me if this has been covered. I have created a table with 23 items. I have selected each to have attributes for Required Entry, Entered Format, and Field size. After completing the required saving and opening for a Form, any Field with a size other than the default 50 characters does not display in the specified block size. Specifically I have a field for Telephone Number. I specified Numeric and 20 digits. The Form presents the Entry block with only 9 spaces. Another Field is defined as Date with the default format 01/01/00. The entry form has a space for 9 characters.

I have generated this Table multiple times trying different configurations with varying results. The only field size that remains the same is the default 50 character size.

what am I doing wrong?
Regards
Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 7 / Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Database Field Size

Post by UnklDonald418 »

The Table design GUI in Base is quite limited, especially when it comes to formatting.
However, Form controls allow far more sizing and formatting options. If you use Wizard to initially design the Form you can open the Form in the Edit/Design mode. Use Ctrl-click to select a control and you can use the green handles to adjust the size, then right click to get a list of options. Select Control to open a properties dialog for that control. The General tab of the properties dialog has numerous formatting options, while the Data tab allows viewing/changing the data source for the control.
Another handy feature in the Form Edit/Design mode is the Form Navigator which is fifth from the left on Form Design toolbar along the bottom of the window.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11