Product Price Database

Discuss the database features
KatLee91

Product Price Database

Post by KatLee91 »

Hi,

I'm looking to update my office product database from the current excel to base database...

Requiring the following fields: Product Name, supplier(multiple options), height (multiple options), cost(dependent on supplier and height), selling price(dependent on cost).

Does that mean that I have to create 4 different tables - product name, supplier, height, cost & selling price? I seem to be having problems relating them together...

And to transfer the information into proper quotations if possible with drop down options : Product Name, choose available size, choose available supplier (dependent on size chosen), cost price.

Would be great if anyone could give me some guidance on this!
Thanks!
LibreOffice 6.0.2 on Windows 10
eremmel

Re: Product Price Database

Post by eremmel »

Based on the questions you ask, you gave yourself quite a challenge! You need to start to study relational databases. Maybe you can find a book like "databases for dummies" as a starter. When you master that you can breakdown your requirements into a data model and start implementing it in Base.
It's Microsoft marketing that tells you computers are qualified for non-technicians
W11 22H2 (build 22621), LO 7.4.2.3(x64)
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: Product Price Database

Post by UnklDonald418 »

Database design is not intuitive, and the tables of a properly designed database are sometimes not user readable.
Without more information it would be difficult to determine how many tables you actually need. It might be 3 or 4 or perhaps even more!
Here is a link to tutorial that discusses database design
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ima ... torial.pdf
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11